james_rice33

Improving a small Victorian dining room: any tips?

James Rice
3 years ago

Hi folks

I’ve attached some photos of the dining room in our Victorian semi (dimensions 3.0m x 3.7m). We did a little bit of renovation in this room when we moved in (mainly plastering/painting plus taking up carpet and putting down laminate), but now it’s time to improve it further.

Since many of you out there have much better design heads than us, I thought I’d ask opinions.

Things we’re considering:

1. Take out the electric heater and replace with an empty fireplace + improve the fireplace surround.

2. Take out the bookshelves either side of the fireplace and replace with alcove cupboards + floating shelves.

3. Add a small cupboard under the stairs.

4. Replace the table with a smaller version (eg square that extends), with benches rather than chairs.

5. Possibly add a window into the west-facing wall (where the clock is), for lots more light.

Any advice on the above, or suggestions to maximise storage and/or fit a Victorian style, warmly appreciated.

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.