aimeelrobinson84

Advice please on best way to extend our kitchen?

Aimee Robinson
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi!
We moved into our house couple of months ago with the intention of doing a kitchen extension. When we initially viewed we planned on doing a side return extension on the kitchen and keeping the annex at the back of the house, but there is a waste line with a man cover that runs down that side behind the rear of the garage (so would need to remain access to it in the extension) and were concerned that wouldn't be gaining that much space from doing it.
Also since living in the house the annex is bloody freezing and is the main cause of draught throughout the house and so it needs to go. Plus we have to step down into it from either the kitchen or the back of through lounge, as it is not on the same level as the rest of the house. So we are now wanting to knock it down, along with the attached toilet and boiler cupboard and extend the house at the back.
But the more I look at planning it the more I am getting confused with options. So should we:
A: knock down existing annex and attached toilet, boiler cupboard and extend kitchen out that way. Plan to relocate toilet under the stairs.
i.e but would a 6x3m rear extension be spacious enough to accomodate a kitchen island? Or will we end up with an odd looking kitchen if we retain the dividing wall between kitchen and through lounge? Will it create dead space in the through lounge with dining area being moved into the kitchen
Or extend to 4m rather than 3m?
B: do a wraparound extension (side return and rear extension)
i.e more costly and have to have a man cover in the extension. Will it cause issues accessing garden to garage?
C: knock dividing kitchen wall to through lounge and extend out the back and partition front part of through lounge to create seperate living space
i.e will there end up being awkward suppporting pillars or too large a space?
Any suggestions or good/bad experience or regrets of having done any of the above would be gladly appreciated too!
I have attached floorplan in the comments
Thanks in advance! 😊

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.