matilda_smith63

Small bedroom, move bathroom upstairs, larger kitchen?

Matilda Smith
3 years ago

Hi all,

Happy 2021, let’s hope it is kinder to us than 2020!

Can I have your thoughts?

We live in a two bed leasehold Victorian conversion flat in London.

We are thinking about the layout of the flat which doesn’t work for us with the small kitchen at the back, as the dining table is in the front room (room with bay window) which is also our sofa tv area. It is a large room, but carrying food through the house and up the stairs doesn’t work.

Should we:

Knock kitchen and bathroom together and keep a separate loo, to make a larger eat in kitchen? Then could we relocate the bathroom upstairs to the second floor next to what is our bedroom? The space would be small, and the ceiling slopes (window side). The previous tenants made a walk in shower room, and moved the wall so the windows are both in the bedroom space (this is the original floor plan before they renovated it). We would need to undo this if we wanted enough space for a shower enclosure or bath, plus we are limited in terms of where things are located to have enough standing height.

or

Move kitchen to behind the front room, and have a spare room cum office space where the kitchen is now, with the bathroom layout as is? The previous tenants knocked the bathroom and toilet together and the space isn’t ideal but houses a shower over the bath, which is 1800 long. We could renovate it to make it more user friendly, in the space it’s in now.

or is there another option you can see?

As we see it, it basically boils down to cost, but also to whether we would be adding value in having a larger kitchen which we could fit a table into if we then had a small bedroom and bathroom, both with a sloping ceiling.

Expertise and wisdom gratefully received. We are two adults, no kids, no mobility issues, and want to be in the flat for another few years yet.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.