webuser_658286175

Renovating Main Floor - Layout Ideas Needed Please

Julie
3 years ago

We have just purchased a house and will be renovating the main floor before we move in with 2 goals in mind:

1. Make it more open plan (We are American don't love the "door on every room" design)

2. Move the lounge to the back of the house because the house has a lovely garden that we want to be able to see from the windows. The house fronts quite close to the street so I really want some privacy.

Requirements for the end result include:

1. Kitchen - ideally at the back of the house as it is quite the hub of activity with 2 adults, 2 teenagers and 2 dogs (with Pantry that I am thinking of putting under the stairs and room for an American fridge)

2. Lounge with TV - situated at the back of the house with windows to garden (garden is east facing)

3. WC

4. Space for laundry (in my tentative design, I have put this in the WC)

5. Dining area - preferable to fit a 6 seat table with enough room around to extend for family gatherings (someday again soon, I hope!)

6. Having a utility area with door to the garden (muddy dog feet...) would be a bonus but I don't see how I can make that happen. We do have a detached garage along the kitchen wall with a

Everything else is pretty optional. I added an office because the extra room would be good as a bedroom backup for guests visiting from America.

I'd like to avoid an extension purely because of cost. Also, I don't really think we need one given that someday in the not too distant future our kids will move out. Storage is important to me as I hate clutter. We are also planning to add a front porch for the clothes and shoes, etc. I'd consider moving the stairs if I could figure out how to make that work as I don't particularly love walking in the house and running right into them.

I am sharing the current floorplan and my first pass renovation floorplan. What am I missing? How could I do it better? Meeting with the architect next week and would love to be able to give him some good directions and starting ideas.

Thank you all!

CURRENT FLOORPLAN

POTENTIAL FLOORPLAN

Comment

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.