londonchica

need to make a 2 bed 1 bath maisonette into a 3 bed 2 bath

Bianca

I live with my 4 kids in a quite spacious (for inner London anyway) Victorian terrace maisonette. It’s above commercial premises and on a cute high street.
The living/kitchen floor has a lovely feel to it and I have just redone the kitchen. The bathroom (also has washer/dryer in there) is on a half level down from the living area so 1 1/2 levels down from bedrooms! I had the bathroom redone a few years ago and still love it, so don’t want to change it. There is also a sunny balcony outside the double doors of the kitchen, sitting on top of the bathroom.
The dream was to do a loft but being in a conservation area in an unbroken terrace both the council is against it and so is my freeholder. Freeholder has said I can move/add doorways but need to keep the majority of the existing walls.
So my remaining option is to cut the bedrooms into 3 and to try to squeeze a bathroom in. I would prefer 3 ‘double’ bedrooms to 2 double plus a box. My kids are 14 & 17, and 9 year old twin boys. One of the rooms needs to fit two single beds now but could later fit a double bed. I also need 1.5m to 2m wardrobe in each room! The ceiling height on bedroom floor is about 2.4m. The large bedroom is at the front of the apartment and the soil pipes are outside the back bedroom windows.
My questions are:
Is there a better way to slice the rooms up?
If it’s too tight to fit toilet and shower and I can only have one, which would be more of a priority?
The idea I’ve drawn up means the largest bedroom will be 12’11” x 10’2”, is that really small or average?
Do you think doing this will devalue the property? I will most likely stay here another 7 years or more as it’s too expensive to trade up around here.
Sorry for the long post!