suzyr

Garden layout ideas for bottom of garden/advice on waterlogged area

suzyr
3 years ago

Our south facing garden is 22m long x 8.5m wide and we are looking to improve the layout particularly in the bottom third of the garden and add a path from the house to the end of the garden. We have a budget of up to £2000 to spend now, but want a design which we can build and add to over the next five years as additional funds allow. We like our curved borders and would like to retain these if possible, but we also want do something with the last third of the garden which is just grass for the most part. We need to add another shed somewhere, as the current one is too small. We would also like a path from house to the sheds/rear of garden but not sure how to incorporate that into the curved borders idea. Should it follow the curves, go across garden?? Also should we make the current division of the garden into two thirds and one third more formal with trellis panels across the garden or perhaps just incorporate more tall shrubs/tree in the borders curving around across the garden as a natural division? We've kept the two elderly apple trees at the bottom of the garden mainly for shade** as we often sit down there in summer when the patio near the house is too hot, but we have no problem removing them if necessary. Lastly in front of the apple tree on the right hand side, there's currently a small paved area and border next to the fence which is a problem as it sits much lower than the rest of the garden and consequently floods during heavy rain. Nothing much grows there but it's in direct sightline from the house, so we'd like to fill it with something nicer to look at. Would removing the pavers and raising the bed level with soil/organic material work? Or do we need to create a proper raised bed, and if so, would that look odd, if there's not a matching one on the other side of the garden? Our soil is clay, which we have tried to improve over the years, but possibly could do with a lot more help! (**I was told by one gardener that removing the apple trees, particularly the one on the right, might worsen the waterlogging in that area as the tree probably takes up a lot of the water that would otherwise be in the soil.) Sorry lots to ask, we've lived in the house for many years and have changed the garden a lot over that time, but it's always been a bit haphazard without any real planning and I want to get the structure and shape right once and for all, particularly with the path and the waterlogged area. Photos were taken at different times of the year, but will hopefully give you an idea of whole garden layout plus also the bottom part of the garden and the problem area on the right hand side.

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.