webuser_203522757

Help! Need ideas for garage door, front door, front step and walkway

K Backman
3 years ago

Looking for some advice on exterior enhancements for better curb appeal for our 1980s brick house. I’d like to make some changes this spring and have about a $20-25K budget (CDN). Must haves: garage door, new front door, and front step and walkway alongside driveway.

I really want to tone down or get rid of the peachy/rust colours in our house but unfortunately it’s part of the brick, so wondering if a dark grey/brown should be used as accent colour (i.e. for garage door, front door?). Some day we may just stucco or paint over the brick but until then we have to live with it.

What style of front door and garage door do you recommend? I do like to maximize windows to let the light in to the house and garage.

What should we do with the existing trim above the garage door – should it be replaced with new trim, and if so what colour? Should it be the same colour as the new garage door? Should we consider replacing the soffits and fascia or is this something that should wait until later when we tackle the brick.

For the front step, we were thinking of making it a wider landing so two people can fit on step at the same time, and then create a walkway to align with driveway to make it easier to get out of the car. I like stone steps but would be open to other materials if it makes sense. Not a fan of patterned concrete though (a lot of people use that around here). What materials and colours would you suggest for the front step/walkway, and should it have railings even though it’s only going to be one or two steps?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can post more pictures of the house if it helps. Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.