webuser_437254418

Identify blue paint?

HU-437254418
3 years ago

Can anyone please help identify what paint product these units are painted in?
Source links:
https://pin.it/1B247Iq
https://pin.it/4ErLxSY
Looking to create the same look for a new media unit (bookshelves & cabinets with butcher top) against the long wall in our own living room.
Our east facing living room has a blue (somewhat teal) love seat & a red (somewhat pinkish) sofa & white walls. It sounds a bit 'much' but it somehow works for us.
So far we've chosen BM Aegean Teal for the media unit but that's partly out of exasperation finding the right blue. This blue however looks promising (they all did until we painted samples!).
Any help or advice appreciated.

Comments (33)

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Hi, the last one is BM Newburyport blue apparently

https://www.interiorsbycolor.com/benjamin-moore-newburyport-blue/

• HU-437254418
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks very much minnie101!

Newburyport Blue is very nice but I fear would be too dark in our east-facing room with Irish (grey) weather.

The blue in the other two sample photos would be considerably lighter/brigher I imagine. Now to find out what they are...

• Related Discussions

Moody Blues! Advise on changing paint colour please?

Q

Comments (37)
    Hi Jen, I really like the contrast of the white with the darker colour (it’s actually Hague Blue that we went for in the end.) When my budget allows the intention in this room is to replace the curtains with traditional solid shutters. These will be white to match the windows.
    ...See More

Paint has gone from grey to blue

Q

Comments (7)
    This happened me too when we painted my living room in F&B Blackened. I had used it previously in another house and thought it would work in our new house however it’s very blue at certain times of the day. I’ve tried keeping my furniture and accessories neutral and pale which helps. And lots of greenery.
    ...See More

living room natural Hessian painted walls blue curtains

Q

Comments (4)
    Every living room needs a lamp. We have some great blue lamps that would look great with the blue curtains. Feel free to check out our website: www.alexanderjoseph.co.uk.
    ...See More

Blue paint for North facing home office

Q

Comments (12)
    Thank you for your photos and reply . The pinks really do look beautiful. I particularly like the colour scheme of the first one. I did think paneling may solve my issue so paneling part of the wall the same colour as the book shelf then painting above but whilst that room would look lovely, I would be at odds with the style of the rest of the house which doesn't have paneling and has a glass staircase for example.The desk is actually a dark navy but perhaps black would be a better match? I think the built in bookshelf is somewhat complicating matters as would you suggest I paint that pink too? The pinks pair beautifully with black but I wonder whether that may be too much for my North facing room particularly as the bookshelf will span the entirety of the wall? I have seen some beautiful studies all in deep dark blue but I wonder if this would be too dark? I have a TV room which I embraced the dark in a deep slate blue which I love but, as it's a TV room it works being dark. I'm not sure whether a home office would work as well. As you can see I'm getting myself in a right jumble! I have recently done my North facing bathroom and that took forever to get right (down pipe units with farrow and ball dive grey) so I'm trying to avoid painting and repainting this time!
    ...See More
  • minnie101
    3 years ago

Well I‘m pretty sure the first is also BM as the rest of that house is painted in BM but annoyingly no narrative under that particular photo...I will try and persevere!

• HU-437254418
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So this green also interests us. Unknown what it is either. Source: https://pin.it/sHjg00u
    Anybody recognise it?

• HU-437254418
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So attached are pics of our living room as is, with the media unit will be located along the full length of the long wall, opposite the red sofa.

Though we started with a vision of navy for the media unit, we're now looking for a medium or light blue (or a gray with blue undertones that's almost a neutral) to balance the room & to brighten it. A third colour (green) as versatile as Aegean Teal may be, it may be just too many colours for one room. Any advice & product suggestions welcome.

• Patrina
    3 years ago

You could try Dulux Steel Symphony 1 in an extra deep base. I used it in my East facing office.

• HU-437254418
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Patrina, very nice colour however for our space I feel it would be too dark, even without the extra deep base.

For something lighter Dulux Steel Symphony 3 does look nice on the product pages;

https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/colour-details/steel-symphony-3

however on a cabinet it appears gray; https://bit.ly/39DG01q

• HU-437254418
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Any other paint colour or product recommendations welcome.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

F&B - Inchyra Blue

Bell · More Info

• HU-437254418
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So we tried a sample of Dulux Steel Symphony 2 but it was too grey.

Though F&B Oval Room Blue is nice in those pictures I think it would also be too muted & grey.

F&B Inchyra Blue is nice but after rethinking this we're thinking a blue more like the first image in the original post would work best, less so a green, which is why we're moving away from Aegean Teal.

Newburyport blue is nice but I think is too navy & dark. Can anyone suggest a lighter blue than Newburyport blue that also might work well in this room?

• Marylee H
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

• HU-437254418
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Marylee, yes we looked at Distance & found it too dark if I recall.

• HU-437254418
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So based on a number of online images of cabinets SW Distance seems too dark & Braving Blue too baby blue.

Something like this blue or even a shade lighter would be ideal.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

😆

You are defo in the zone for pulling paint chips now. Online colour can really only get you in the right ball-park.

But it’s only safe to use as a decent starting point. If you are making serious judgements you need the real thing for sure. You maybe surprised at the differences!

If you list all the colours you have tried & say what you liked or didn’t, lots of people here can help get you closer, e.g.

Newbury Port Blue - too dark with a Value of 37

Distance - still too dark. Looking for a colour lighter than a Value of 48

Bracing Blue - too Baby Blue. Almost the same Chroma as NPB + D so must be too light? 58

So are you looking for a colour lighter than Distance but less so than Bracing?

Silver Blueberry sits between Distance + Blueberry in terms of Value.

It also has more Chroma (colourfulness) than Bracing.

( Lightness Value of 53 + Chroma of 13.5)

🌈

• HU-437254418
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Marylee H,

Thanks for your help so far. Good questions. Delayed response below.

Re paint chips: I assume you mean paint fan decks (European name)? We have booklets of paint cards/fans from Little Green, ColourTrend, Dulux & others but none from the US paint manufacturers (SW, BM) as they don't sell direct in Ireland. That said we can order the US paints & have been getting copy samples of SW & BM paints in small paint pots.

Re online colour; yes this was my point. 99% of the online colours have not transpired to be the same in any way when painted from sample pots in person.

Re real-thing; yes, as I mention, lots of paint pot samples bought & tested (see below)….

Re listing all colours tried with likes & dislikes; please see below.

Note: all paints appeared great looking online but did not come out anywhere near those online photos in reality. All paints appeared a much darker shade when painted on the wall, as compared to painted on a flat piece of wood. The final application is to be on a large 14x9 foot wooden media unit.

Navy's (in descending order of darkness)

• BM Hale Navy: too dark (too black/ink).
    • BM Old Navy: too dark (too inky green).
    • Colourtrend Inkwell: too dark, almost black (liked: navy. Looked great outdoors, too dark indoors)
    • SW Naval: too dark (liked: nice enough navy tone)
    • BM Van Deusen Blue: too dark (greeney tone)
    • F&B Stiffkey Blue: too dark (liked: bluer tone)
    • SW Indigo Batik: too dark (liked: indigo tone). This was one of our favourite navys because it was brighter/visible.
    • Dulux Saphire Salute: too dark blue. Too intense blue.
    • Dulux Night Series: too dark (liked: 2nd brightest of the 'navys'). We almost settled on this & still like it despite it's darkness.
    • Little Greene Juniper Ash: too dark & appears too muted. No distinct tone/vibrancy (liked: brightest of the 'navys'. Faded look. A possible contender but concerned it's still too dark for our room)
    • Overall favourite: our top 2 choices were Juniper Ash & Night Series, in that order, solely because they were the 2 brightest, overall. But unfortunately too dark for our room. Night Series was the most acceptable 'navy'. But, we seem to have to let navy go.

Medium blues (in descending order of darkness):

• Colourtrend Priory Wall: too dark (bluey with a slight green tint)
    • SW Searching Blue: too dark purple.
    • Little Greene Pale Lupin: too purpley/fake.
    • SW Bracing Blue: too gray.
    • Pantone Dusty Blue: too gray.
    • SW Aleutian: too gray.
    • Overall favourite: Priory Wall but still possibly too dark for our room.

Light blues (in descending order of darkness)

• Little Green Grey Stone: a possible contender. Like: one of the lightest/freshest paint samples we currently have, while still retaining some depth/character/style. Don't like: grey undertone is a bit strong.
    • Colourtrend Icehouse: too white, not enough blue. A more bluer version of this we would like to find & test.
    • Pantone Artic Ice: too white, no discernible blue.
    • Dimpse: don't like; pure white, zero blue. No point as our walls are already white.
    • Overall: we like the concept of light/white blues but haven't found a workable sample that wouldn't be either white or appear too baby blue. Perhaps a blue/gray may be a better direction. Any light blue/gray paint product suggestions welcome.

Dark Greens (in descending darkness)

• BM Providence Blue: too dark, army-esque.
    • Colourtrend Ox Vein: too dark.
    • BM Aegean Teal: too dark, army-eque (like: online photos & versatility to match with butcher top). We almost chose this.
    • Overall: green is not our preferred choice as it would introduce a 3rd colour into our living room (red sofa & blue loveseat). Of all 3 Aegean Teal is our favourite.

Light Greens (in descending darkness)

• BM Van Courtland Blue: too muddy gray.
    • Fleetwood St Swithen: a bit too dark, a bit fakey.
    • Pantone Desert Sage: too pistachio/gray/yellowy.
    • Overall: green is not our preferred choice as it would introduce a 3rd colour into our living room (red sofa & blue loveseat).
    • Greys (in descending darkness. Note: some of the green & blue paints above ended up gray also)
    • BM Evening Dove: too dark
    • Dulux Steel Symphony 2: too gray, not enough blue undertone.
    • Overall: a light grey with stronger blue undertones would be preferred. A blue/gray in other words.

Re; are we looking for a colour lighter than Distance but less so than Bracing?

Bracing Blue was far too dark & gray. Distance we couldn't buy a sample of but from online photos although nice perhaps still too dark.

Hopefully this gives some indication of the loooong & exasperating journey we've been on to find the right colour for our media unit. Really we just want something bright, airy, fresh yet stylish & with a bit of character that would work well our blue loveseat & red sofa & with a wooden butchertop & contrasting handles (e.g. in copper, brass or chrome).

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Dulux

• HU-437254418
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Carolina, which paint is on the media unit in the picture?

• Vicky Anders
    3 years ago

Hi, have you considered f&b De Nimes? Am assuming you probably have but a friend of mine did a wall in that colour and worked well but if you’ve considered the other f&b blue colours am sure you’ve looked at that one too!

• HU-437254418
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Vicky,

Thanks, yes we sure did. One thing I like about F&B is that their website has a reviews section for each of their paints so you can see real-world applications/outcomes for each paint from real customers who've actually purchased & used the paint. For De Nimes most of the review pics were dark, gray. See example attached. We also reviewed the remaining 'blues' on F&B site. Nothing there that stood out unfortunately.

Sidenote: It's a shame that the other main paint manufacturers (BM, SW, Little Greene, Dulux, Colourtrend etc) don't do the same as F&B by having a review section to help prospective customers choose. Does anyone happen to know if a 3rd party review site like this exists? Researching reviews online for paints is hit & miss. E.g. perfect settings & lighting with attractive finishes but not a real representation of the paint itself.

• Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

Have you looked at Mylands? It’s fantastic paint. (Decorator says way better than F&B). They also have a really good Instagram page too. Here’s a few from their site:

• Vicky Anders
    3 years ago

Yes it would be so useful if there was a site like that! Only place I’ve seen it is on reviews for paint on b&q site but they’re just for the standard colours. Another option could possibly be Lick but think they have limited colours. Good luck on your search!!

• Carolina
    3 years ago

I don't know what the paint on the media unit that I posted with the Dulux samples is, because it's the photo that you posted just before :-) I posted it like that, because I think it shows two colours that are pretty close, Wild Water 2 and Atlantic Surf 3. The last one being slightly lighter.

• HU-437254418
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Carolina, I see. Yes, Wild Water 2 is nice but right now we're moving away from darker colours & looking for something on the light blue/gray area. Something with a bit more distinguisable blue within it than Colourtrend Icehouse https://colourtrend.ie/products/icehouse

• HU-437254418
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Sarah U-S, I haven't heard of Mylands but I'll check them out, thank you!

• Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

If you like light blue/grey colours, maybe look at Little Green Celestial Blue. Sonia and Marylee recommended it to me last week for my front door. I painted a small sample and it’s a very similar tone (but darker!) to my kitchen units which are Farrow and Ball Dimpse.

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Celestial Blue

• Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

This is the celestial blue next to my Dimpse cupboards.

• HU-437254418
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Sarah & Sonia, I just took a look at LG Celestial Blue & it appears to have more of a green tone within it based on online pics eg https://www.littlegreene.ie/celestial-blue. Something that is more a white/gray blue as opposed to green would suit our room more given the existing furniture colours we feel.

• Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

I know what you mean about it sometimes looking green - but I’ve just checked, my photo is identical to the actual colour in daylight. In real life, it’s definitely a blue! (But I know colours look different wherever they are)

• janet_allen8
    3 years ago

Hi Hu-437254418 ... I’m sure you can do without adding more to the mix! But for what is worth, see what you think of these, predominantly from Paint & Paper Library (assuming you can get this brand in Ireland) ... The first picture is a selection of blues, with examples below. Notice how the colour can appear different from image to image (see Blue Blood in particular. I’ve used Paint & Paper Library on woodwork and as a paint, love it. I hear great things about Mylands too (& Colourtrend). Also has potential as a lighter blue is Farrow & Ball Parma Grey, has good depth to it despite some of the images on website looking quite pale.

• janet_allen8
    3 years ago

The Pinterest image above is “Blue Blood” as is the bedroom. Below the wall is “Blue Pearl” and the living room & bookcase “Blue Vein”. The dresser is Mylands “Oratory”

• natalillly
    2 years ago

Does anyone know what this colour is

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.