e_d_10

Will Pigeon doors work with Skimming Stone walls?

E D
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have been looking to paint my double doors (and others) for some time, as some of you may know and since we have some woodwork and doors in F&B’s Pigeon in a hallway, I’m considering to extend that ‘theme’ elsewhere.

Most of our home has its walls in F&B’s Skimming Stone so was wondering if that would be a good match with Pigeon.

What do you think?

Pic shows one half of the double doors and Skimming Stone walls.

Comments (37)

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

They could look great together!

Skimming Stone is a warm, near neutral, from the beginning of the Yellow Hue Family.

Pigeon is a darker, near neutral, from the middle of the adjacent Green-Yellow Hue Family.

Both colours are quite similar in quantities of colourfulness or Chroma, but differ in terms of lightness (Value). Together with your warm wood floors they form an analogous palette.

It’s still worth testing Pigeon in your space (board x 2 coats), as in some rooms people read it just as a near neutral grey, in other settings more of its inherent greenness can be discerned and in light which spikes heavily in blue/violet wavelengths it can even appear blue.

🌈

E D thanked Marylee H
  • macbroom
    3 years ago

They look like they would look good together, though I think your door looks great as it is - the reddish brown co-ordinates with the picture and cabinet. 🙂

E D thanked macbroom
  • Related Discussions

Paint the skirting board & door frames the same as the walls? Y/N

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks for reply. Your room looks lovely! I'm looking for a warm grey for my West facing bedroom and have tried so many different ones but none seem quite right. Think I may have to try Purbeck Stone although Farrow and Ball might be a bit expensive for me!
    ...See More

Fireplace stone work

Q

Comments (12)
    Not sure what your vision is that underlies your question. I don't feel like the stone work is outdated. It would seem a better investment to remove the popcorn texture on the ceiling, and change out the flooring (e.g., hardwoods, etc) to update the space. I would leave the stone fireplace. The stone and mantle are quite nice and versatile. If you just simply do not like stone, then that is a different matter. You could do something like a modern or natural tile, rustic brick pavers, or other depending on your preferences. Even so, I would still consider updating the flooring and removing the ceiling texture. Just an opinion.
    ...See More

Colour matching for F&B Skimming Stone & Purbeck Stone.

Q

Comments (28)
    Katie I think purbeck and skimming stone look ok next to each other, I have a hallway in skimming stone and a room off the hall in purbeck but I probably wouldn’t put them in the same room together. To my eye they have a different undertone. If ammonite is too blue maybe try strong white? Or paint the walls the same colour as the alcoves.
    ...See More

grey plaster skim walls?

Q

Comments (37)
    If you scroll down this story to the bedroom picture the designers decided it was much cheaper to use a wallpaper instead of polishing the plaster. I’ve also seen online DIY paint effect tutorials to get this look. Apparently “Rough Luxe” and “Distressed Glamour” are the interiors terms for this kind of look! https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/houzz-tours-a-modern-loft-extension-flat-in-a-period-london-building-stsetivw-vs~51943101
    ...See More
  • Ellie
    3 years ago

From the pic, the door looks fab! I wouldn't change it!

E D thanked Ellie
  • Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

Not sure that I would to be honest. I like the door as it is, sorry.

E D thanked Juliet Docherty
  • Sonia
    3 years ago

I think it would look lovely. I’ve bought a pot of Pigeon to paint the bottom half of my hall, stairs and landing below the dado rail. Above is Dulux Egyptian Cotton. I think it will look okay and I’ve bought it now! In your picture it looks like Skimming Stone has a hint of green in it, but that might be my screen!

E D thanked Sonia
  • E D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Many thanks all for your kind and wise words! 🙏

colourhappy, do you mean you wouldn’t have Pigeon doors with Skimming walls period, or not paint these double doors in Pigeon?

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

Hi E D sometimes you just need to test it, there are no specific rules, but Skimming Stone (which I have) seems to work with lots of colours, but Pigeon is also quite grey and I wonder if it would make the Skimming Stone look a bit dreary. You can't always use logic with colour, there are too many variables.

• E D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The ‘dreariness’ does worry me a little, but I don’t want to use too many different colours throughout the home.

Hence considering the pigeon.

The front door to our flat is Pigeon, I can maybe take this door out (temporarily ☺️) and use it as a tester by placing it in different spots.

Re double doors, I probably can‘t get painting them past other family members, so may have to forgo that idea, also encouraged by comments here.

But, I have other doors I’m still considering.

Like these:

Thoughts welcome! 👍

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Definitely in the keep camp! If that’s a cupboard in the last photo I wouldn’t highlight it personally. The house doesn’t look dreary to me at all from what I’ve seen, it’s lovely, but if you want a change cushions can have a big impact or another piece of art, light, large plant etc

E D thanked minnie101
  • Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

Oh Crikey E D I hope you don't think I meant your house is dreary (it's not it's lovely) I meant that Skimming Stone is a greyish colour (I have it in two rooms) but I wondered if the Pigeon with it may not work. I say this because I had windows that were coloured on the outside and inside as it was thousands cheaper. Certain colours clashed horribly with the windows, as both were quite greyed colours but different hues. I am now in the hideous process of repainting the inside of the windows myself ) ;

• E D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Haha, colourhappy I knew exactly what you meant. 👍

And that’s exactly what I want to avoid, clashing drearily.

As said we have Pigeon woodwork in a (communal) hallway, which was my choice. Although slightly cold looking (northerly light) I like it there, but its walls are Polished Pebble.

Atm we have different coloured doors in different places. They used to be all ‘mahogany’ when we moved in, like the double doors (and bedroom doors) still are.

I’d like to go back to more uniformity, but still not sure with what colour... 🤔

• E D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

minnie, I agree with not highlighting the cupboard, but I feel the white does do that somewhat.

Maybe I should concentrate on the bedroom doors first...

• Victoria
    3 years ago

I wouldn’t paint the double doors, I’d try to “soften” the colour of the stain. I’d paint the cupboard door skimming stone to hide it 😊

E D thanked Victoria
  • E D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Victoria, I like the idea of ’softening’ the colour.

Anyone know how to do that?

Cupboard doors in Skimming Stone sounds like a plan too.

Stupidly I got rid of eggshell Skimming recently, after keeping it for a long time... 🤦‍♂️

Would using emulsion be ok? I have loads. 🙂

• Lena
    3 years ago

E D, I like Victoria’s idea of “softening” the colour of the stain, but I haven’t done it before.

My existing doors were painted in redwood stain, and I was glad to paint them a first white colour I found, a good few years back.

Meanwhile, I wanted to suggest that Skimming stone might look fine, if one door out of a few was painted a different colour.

I painted all internal ground floor doors white, except doors to and from living room, which were painted black. I think it works.

I am not necessarily suggesting black, but any suitable dark colour, possibly already used somewhere else in your house.

E D thanked Lena
  • Kiwikate
    3 years ago

You are obviously after a change, hence the question. My suggestion would be to paint your double doors with Wimborne white. The slight yellow undertone would tie in with your flooring and it would lighten up the darkest point between the two rooms (assuming the windows are at either end). I think your home is beautifully decorated and has lovely features.

E D thanked Kiwikate
  • Karenza Roy
    3 years ago

i think the pigeon could work, don't want to contradict everyone here but I don't really like the wooden original doors so I'd definitely give them a paint

E D thanked Karenza Roy
  • Marylee H
    3 years ago

Having this bit of information in your toolkit won’t mean you will necessarily like a particular colour combination any more -

but it can add a bit more confidence to your colour selection.

So as well as all the classical colour harmonies mapped out by colour wheels, such as analogous, complementary, triad palettes etc,

Colours also share a degree of harmony when they -

* belong to the same Hue Family (monochromatic)

* share the same Value (lightness)

* share the same Chroma (colourfulness)

* share the same nuance (Value + Chroma)

🌈

• smac232
    3 years ago

It could work but I really think that you shouldn’t. The wood gives a warmth to your room that you would lose if you painted them. It looks good as it is. Leave well alone

• PRO
    Paintforme
    3 years ago

Hi ED,

It will work together well.

The door look stained so you should:

1. sand to remove the stain or

2. light sand and apply stain block.

Good luck!

Paintforme

• minnie101
    3 years ago

E D, not sure I’d recommend emulsion. I do have a spare bed I painted in it which was unfinished wood and has survived a few years (was bored!) but not sure I’d recommend it. It doesn’t stick very well over paint (I sometimes paint testers on wood and it takes a lot of coats to stick though sanding first may help!)). Given it’s a cupboard it’s likely to take a lot of knocks so you’d probably have to finish it with something like Polyvines Matt Decorators varnish so it would be a false economy. It would be good if F&B do small pots as I could do with one atm! You could try Johnstone’s paint match or Dulux Egyptian cotton is meant to be a good match and I think they do small tins?

https://www.e-paint.co.uk/colour-alternatives.asp

• Sonia
    3 years ago

E D, Both F&B and Little Greene do smaller 750ml eggshell paint for woodwork if you wanted to repeat the Skimming Stone. Don’t use emulsion, it’s just not tough enough. Another pale shade you could try is Little Greene’s Slaked Lime, a lovely warm neutral and the colour I painted my bookcases. I still think the Pigeon would look lovely though.........I wonder if you could get a test pot, paint it on a big bit of card and then blue tack onto the door near the Skimming Stone wall and see what you think?

• minnie101
    3 years ago

I just had to check F&B then, Sonia is correct and I’m wrong, it’s only emulsion that just comes in 2.5 litres!

• E D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all, I had two 750ml eggshell F&B tins for a couple of years. Then Freecycled them...

• E D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Anyone know how much Johnston charge for their colour-matching? I called them and oddly they said they only give prices when you visit their shop. 🤨

• PRO
    Expand & Build Ltd
    3 years ago

The colours will compliment each other, but the doors look lovely how they are!

E D thanked Expand & Build Ltd
  • PRO
    Paintforme
    3 years ago

They don't charge you for colour matching, they charge you for paint.

• Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

I haven’t used myself, however have seen various recommendations online for this website who colour match. The website should give you an idea on cost https://www.decoratingcentreonline.co.uk/colour-match-interior.html

E D thanked Sarah U-S
  • E D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok, Paintforme (Paintnotforme more likely 😆), how much do they charge for colour matched paint? 😐

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

Whenever you get paint colour matched anywhere, it’s always worth enquiring, ‘Is this a custom match, or the nearest match to a paint colour already available in your range?’ You maybe surprised how often it’s actually the latter.

(Not everywhere, but certainly some high-profile paint matching offers don’t actually custom match to a sample.)

• PRO
    Paintforme
    3 years ago

Johnstone's and Dulux both provide colour match service. However, Johnstone's accuracy is very high, 95-99%, Dulux isn't this good.

Prices depend on your trade account... If you walk into a store without one they would probably charge you similar to known brands. If you only need 1 or 2.5 litres you better order from the brand you've picked the colour from.

• E D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Where did you get those percentages from? And how is accuracy measured?

• janet_allen8
    3 years ago

I’m sure @paintforme have substantially more experience than me ... I used Johnstone’s colour match to F&B on recommendation and hated it. Nothing like the real thing in terms of colour match. Not even in terms of longevity (though it was the emulsion). It was so awful my decorator did a double take 😂 Lesson learned.

E D thanked janet_allen8
  • E D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Between you and I, Janet 😉, I won’t rely on Paintforme for paint advice. Once bitten...

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Do you remember what colour you were matching?

• janet_allen8
    3 years ago

That looks great Sonia!

• janet_allen8
    3 years ago

Hi E D, I think it was Farrows Cream but can’t quite remember. We had it in our bedroom previously (the proper version). This was for a rental and colour match was awful, but we stuck with it. Within 6 months walls were terrible... could have been rowdy tenants 😉 but had previously used Dulux with no issues ... why did I change! Will never use again. Also tried a tester post of Johnstone’s own colour range in lockdown and didn’t like the finish or colour on that (that was for a window) ... I’m obviously not in the Johnstone’s loving it camp, 😄

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.