webuser_961875554

How to find out if loft is compliant with building regulations

First Time Buyer
3 years ago

We're in the process of buying a house that has a loft conversion. However, we have no written evidence as to whether this loft is compliant with building regulations. The loft conversion was completed prior to the current vendor buying it (before 1994) - but we don't have any certification saying whether it meets building regulations.

Currently, there are no fire safety doors between the loft and the first floor, no fire alarms, we're not too sure if there is an emergency exit window, and the floor is uneven (possibly to do with wrong joists), and the insulation is not up to standards (flagged up by our survey).

Does anyone know how — without contacting the council — we can find out if the loft is compliant with building regulations? Our local searches have brought up nothing and the vendor has no documentation for us.

Many thanks!

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.