webuser_59672883

House Exterior. Makeover Advice!

Mike Enness
3 years ago

Hi everyone

We would love some ideas to give this 1930s house some much needed kerb appeal!

Thank you

Mike

Comments (14)

• Felicia
    3 years ago

No useful advice here but what a gorgeous house you have. Can’t imagine it’ll need much if at all :)

• carocat24
    3 years ago

Plant a garden?

• Patrina
    3 years ago

Don't know if you wish to touch the faux Tudor but you could try painting them a light grey. Also I can see a hint of a border/bed to the left? but maybe bringing a bit of greenery closer to the house would really help. I know having the block pacing can be a bit overwhelming so depending on what's beneath, you could remove some of the bricks to add flower beds under the windows. I have a large block paved drive and the addition of a flower bed makes a really big difference to the curb appeal.

• Patrina
    3 years ago

Just to add it is quite a nice looking house as is.

• keiblem
    3 years ago

I like the house but I agree it needs plants to soften it and make it look less like a garage forecourt. You have gravel beds under the window. Why don’t you make a start there? You could keep the gravel as a mulch. I cannot see the front boundary but if you don’t have plants there then that would also be a good place to improve the view from inside. Ease yourself in gently by tackling one area at a time. If you are not a gardener then a good garden centre can advise and maybe refer you to a garden designer who will draw up a planting plan.

• Sonia
    3 years ago

Lovely house. You could paint the timbers taupe or pale grey which will update it without losing any of the charm. As everyone has said, some planting at the front of the house would soften the hard landscaping. Depending on aspect, you could plant lovely white Hydrangeas if it’s shady, or a row of Lavender if it’s a sunny spot.

• Mike Enness
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone 😀 what do you think about rendering the front and not having the fake black beams?

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

I’d keep the beams as they’re relevant to the era of the house. It is a lovely house BTW. Perhaps paint the beams a pale grey as a way of modernising it.

• 88wj88
    3 years ago

I agree with Sonia and Daisy England, painted a pale grey the beams gives the house its character, and are relevant. If the front is just rendered the windows would probably need to be changed too as they would then have no reference.

• donut99
    3 years ago

Agree with all the above. Please don't render! The house will lose its 1930s character and it looks gorgeous, you are very lucky. Again, paint the timbers a lighter colour if you want to modernise it, they aren't fake, they're classic 1930s style! Add greenery and research the history if you can, look back at photos of similar homes pre and around ww2 , bet they look fab, and if you've got money to burn add a 1930s classic car to the driveway!

• Mike Enness
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone 😀 this is the back. You can see how it looks without the beams hence me considering rendering it. Painting the timber a lighter colour is an interesting idea too

• User
    3 years ago

Keep the beams. It looks so much better than the back.

• Sonia
    3 years ago

The beams are part of that era and removing the beams would be sacrilege, I feel. Everyone thinks of period properties as Victorian or Georgian, but the 1930s had some great architectural features too. Removing the beams will turn an interesting house into a dull one. 😊

• keiblem
    3 years ago

I appreciate that tastes have changed and some of us don’t want that mock Tudor or affectionately known ‘Stockbroker Tudor’ look anymore but many of us still like them and they are an important part of our history of home ownership. So rather than remove the beams I would consider both Sonia and Daisy’s proposal to paint them a lighter colour, most especially after seeing the rear elevation which seems bland in comparison.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.