flora_graham

Kitchen plan for better garden flow? Help please!

Flora FG
3 years ago

I'm flummoxed by a kitchen challenge and would really appreciate the advice of the wonderful Houzz community!

We have an open-plan Victorian end-of-terrace with an L-shaped kitchen. It's worked well so far, with an island and a little play area where I can watch the kids while we cook. But now they're older and the play area is no longer needed, I want to tackle a few 'flow' problems.

1. There is no flow between the kitchen and the back garden. There are french doors but they lead into the small patio area (hope this is clear in the floor plans below). So there is a feeling of walking through and outdoor 'corridor' before you get to the garden.

2. You can hardly see any of the garden area from inside the house, so you can't supervise the kids or chat/interact with people outdoors very well. Even if we replaced the not-so-nice uPVC window and doors with bigger/more glass I don't think it would fix this issue.

3. There is a tall pantry and (annoyingly small) integrated fridge that divides the run of counter tops, which restricts the working area. I would prefer a large side-by-side non-integrated fridge instead, and not in the middle of the kitchen work area.

Possible solutions?

1. Square off the kitchen area with more extension. This would allow us to keep the sink and most of the kitchen where it is. We would benefit from moving the dining table towards the doors and gain a sitting area in the middle of the house. Move the fridge to gain the run of counters. Downside: it would cost a LOT of money, poss party wall agreements, planning permission etc. to gain a tiny amount of space and we don't really feel like we need more space.

2. Rejig the kitchen layout so that we can add another set of french doors that open more directly out onto the garden. This seems more practical in some ways, but I have no idea how to lay out the kitchen so that we still have a good social space. Right now the (small humble Ikea) kitchen island creates a lovely spot to chat and cook. :) And what to do with the current 'play area'? This is the option that I would really love your input on!

Here is a 3D rendering of the current kitchen to show how you can't really flow out or see the garden:

Current layout (link to full-size):

Option 1: Square off the extension (link to full-size):

Option 2: Add new doors (link to full-size):

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.