mrswruthm

Bedroom design 2.20m x1.90m for 11yr old and baby in cot

mrswruthm

We have a new baby in the family and need to sleep an 11yr old and the baby in a room 2.20m x1.90m. We have already made an alcove into the next door bedroom to house a wardrobe on one wall. there is a corner window and a slightly sloping ceiling against the other wall. we have been thinking of a high bed where the cot could go underneath but not sure how practical that would be in accessing the baby from the cot, or a cabin bed with storage (shelves, draws cupboards?) and putting the cot elsewhere in the room. we are trying to include the needs of an 11 year girl old as well as the needs of mummy and baby. We are also mindful tha at some stage it may be practical to just have bunk beds in the room, so an adaptable furniture arrangement would be ideal.

We are a multi-generation family with 9 people living in a three bedroom. the house has been extended downstairs to make a grandparents bedroom and more living space.

Your advice and ideas would be really appreciated as the baby will soon need to move from her crib to a cot.

Comment (1)

• keiblem

Hello I cannot quite make out the stairs. Do you step onto the landing just outside the children’s bedroom? I ask because I was wondering if you could gain some space there. Failing that you say you have built an alcove into the next bedroom for a cupboard which I can see on your plan. It may be a kerfuffle but could you revisit that and extend it all the way to the window wall? I was thinking that you could then fit a cot in there with drawers or cupboards underneath. If there is such a thing. You could then have a cabin bed for your 11 year old in the location it is now. The cabin bed and similar set up for the cot would hopefully compensate for losing the wardrobe.