webuser_186454264

Post Pandemic Living - ideas needed!

Paul FitzGerald
3 years ago

We live in a 1930s London semi. We bought it in 2007 after it had been refurbished and extended.

In late 2019 we got an architect to draw up some plans to open up our back kitchen, using the existing bedroom/study as extra space for a more modern kitchen/diner. We also got planning permission to change the use of our garage, and install a wet room / WC in the part of it and retain a small bit for storage towards the front.

The kitchen/diner area is north facing, so one of the issues we have is poor light. We had hoped that opening the back up, with the addition of the extra vulux would help this. Further, due to the existing design, we have a great big supporting pier in the middle of the existing kitchen diner which we wanted to get rid of to facilitate a new kitchen design.

The sketch plan of the existing space and the engineering plan of the proposed are roughly what we wanted to do.

Fast forward 18 months later, and as we approach a post pandemic world, our needs have changed. Like most professional / office workers, it's now likely we will spend more than half of our week WFH. We already have an office cabin out the back, which my wife uses, but I'm using the study/bedroom on the ground floor as my office. It is therefore likely that I would want to keep the existing bedroom / study in the ground floor.

The other thing that has struck me during the last year is how little we use the front room. It doesn't have a TV, just a couch, table etc, and while it's great to go in and read a book there, we maybe do that once a month. It just feels like an incredible waste of space.

From a practical perspective, I don't know who I should contact to get more design ideas. Our original architect has now retired (he wasn't that inspiring anyway!) and now I'm not sure if I need to talk to a Concept Planner, another architect, a builder, or a structural engineer?

I'm guessing that as I don't exactly know what I want, a Concept Planner is my first port of call? That then begs the question of where you find then? Are they associated with an architect?

Would really appreciate any guidance.

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.