Most cost effective journey to dream home

Hayley
last modified: 10 days ago

Hi, New to Houzz so forgive me if i'm doing this wrong...Thanks in advance.

We bought our new home for what it 'can be' not what it is now and are currently having plans drawn up for extensions and replacing the old conservatory. Although we're paying architects for their service, it's always great to get second and third opinions, especially when spending so much money.

We are looking for an estimate of the build costs (up to plastered walls, floors and electrics including UFH in extension) and suggestions on where we can save money doing some of it ourselves with basic DIY skills. We are not including bathroom a kitchen supply/fit at this stage as we have 'mates rates' so are budgeting separately. Our design plan depend on budget so feeling a bit 'chicken or egg' at this stage.

Also debating between a pitched roof with skylights over the kitchen or a lantern? Which would you have / why? Which is more cost effective to give the feel of added height?

A final request... we originally considered a loft conversion (the loft is partially converted currently with bed & bath but no dormer so limited full height space by previous owners but does not meet building regulations) instead of a 2 storey extension as was suggested by architects it was more cost effective. However I am now wondering about the feasibility of having the 2 storey extension as detailed below and possibly a loft conversion into a self contained flat with external entrance later down the line as a rental income. This could be an absurd idea or could be genius - you tell me?

Current house:

Proposed (using free app so not 100% accurate/detailed):

ground floor:

1st floor

Existing loft space:

Comment