The most awkward living room you’ll ever see...

Lauri Evans

Hi all

I’m really hoping a genius will help me with this. It’s been over a year, 8 ‘live’ layout attempts, uncountable 2D and 3D drawings and still we cannot find a lounge layout that works!

Please help!

The main problem in our long lounge, is that we have a HUGE (inglenook style) fireplace (which the TV cannot go above), facing the entry door into the room. This means that if we place the sofa and chair/s around the fireplace, we don’t know where to put the TV. We enjoy watching films so having the TV ‘out of the way’ won’t work for us.

Also, the fireplace is so wide, that if you position furniture ‘around’ it, it leaves a massive space in the middle of the room which looks weird - even with a coffee table in it, the space between the coffee table and surrounding furniture is too large - you certainly couldn’t reach from the sofa to put your cup of tea on the coffee table.

I have no problem in putting things in front of windows or the radiator, but not the doors, obviously.

I also have no problem in splitting the room up; having the main area in the larger chunk of the living room and a reading area etc in the smaller end, near the door to the outside.

But we just cannot make it work!

On the diagram I have put our 3-seater sofa size in, in green, so you can get an idea of proportions. Everything else we have is flexible (tables, pouffes, other small furniture).

We luckily don’t need loads of stuff in this room; just seating for 4 (therefore the sofa and just one other chair), the TV and side tables.

You wouldn’t think it would be that difficult but it is!