jon_hercman

Advice on old dark wood fireplace and living room

J H
3 years ago

Hi all

I am looking for advice on ideas for the large fireplace and shelving etc in the attached photos as well as more generally the room as a whole. Also looking for advice on what could be done to hide the insert of the fire which is just boarded at the moment.

We are "white washing" our house on a budget to start with so key requirements are:

1. We cannot remove the fireplace (only paint or leave as is)

2. We cannot remove the plate rail (only paint or leave as is)

3. We have budget for a new carpet (or to sand the floorboards which are a dark oak I believe)

4. We do not have budget for new curtains but existing ones are good quality and relatively netural

My thoughts are to paint the fireplace and plate rail either white, or a warm white/ beigey grey which would match the colour on the walls.

The room will be used as a living / play room for infants. Please excuse the mess, this is currently a hoarding room whilst we have been renovating other rooms.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Kind regards

J

Comments (23)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.