theheed456

Beautiful Victorian downstairs design dilemma

Greg ory
3 years ago

Hi friends,

We've recently moved in to a beautiful 1881 Victorian house that has only had 2 owners from new! As such, there is a lot of original features and we unearth more every time we do a little work. What we're really struggling with is how we get that big, bright family friendly kitchen and seating area.

The current kitchen is small and in an extension (circa 1920s) at the north facing rear of the property. It's very dark and cold but has nice views of the garden. I've considered a few different layouts but all have compromises, and our most favoured (extending again) is both unaffordable and seems ridiculous when we have as much space.

Anyone seen an en-suite dining room before? :) Might be handy for the elderly parents staying in the future.

Any inspirations or ideas would be much appreciated! Here's what we have so far:

Rough floor plan from when we bought the house:

Scaled floor plan, note the 600mm stone walls of the main house:

kitchen in sitting room - nice and bright south facing, but doesn't seem to sit right:

Kitchen in current breakfast room - probably ideal space, but so many doors in way that it is comprimised:

Use all of existing extension - good option, but dark in the extension and makes the current breakfast room in to a corridor. Also loses the decent downstairs loo (the wc in the utility feels like it's outside, but I can sort that). This option has been costed by a QS at circa £30k

Extend current kitchen and open up in to breakfast room. This would probably be the best use of space to make it more practical, but it's outside our budget at circa £50k an the current breakfast room could become very dark indeed:

I thought I would ask you good people for some inspiration before getting an architect involved. I'm sure the solution is in here somewhere and we're not precious about any of the walls, but would obviously want to keep all the period features.

Thanks a million, looking forward to hearing what you've got.

Greg

Comments (18)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.