kirstyne_obrien

outhouse - utility or office?

K OB
3 years ago

We have an outhouse (rendered single block) joined to the back of the garage. It's 1.42m x 2.88m and you have to go outside to get to it.
When we cut the oil tank out I'd envisaged it as a utility room/ drying room. Although it's feasible to get water, drainage and power to it, something was holding me back... if I'm honest it was probably that if it's out of sight, it's out of mind and so I'd keep forgetting to go and take the washing out the washing machine. I would be lying if I didn't say the idea of going out there when it's wet is off-putting!
So I started thinking about forgoing the drying space and just have the washing machine in a cupboard in the house instead and use the outhouse as an office for work, but spend more to make it a nicer space to be in, e.h. roof light and glazed door, insulation, etc (although I'd save on not having to install water and drainage).
Thoughts either way please and also any ideas for a good layout for either a utility or office for that size space? thanks

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.