kirstyne_obrien

outhouse - utility or office?

K OB

We have an outhouse (rendered single block) joined to the back of the garage. It's 1.42m x 2.88m and you have to go outside to get to it.
When we cut the oil tank out I'd envisaged it as a utility room/ drying room. Although it's feasible to get water, drainage and power to it, something was holding me back... if I'm honest it was probably that if it's out of sight, it's out of mind and so I'd keep forgetting to go and take the washing out the washing machine. I would be lying if I didn't say the idea of going out there when it's wet is off-putting!
So I started thinking about forgoing the drying space and just have the washing machine in a cupboard in the house instead and use the outhouse as an office for work, but spend more to make it a nicer space to be in, e.h. roof light and glazed door, insulation, etc (although I'd save on not having to install water and drainage).
Thoughts either way please and also any ideas for a good layout for either a utility or office for that size space? thanks

• Wumi

Utility rooms are great and you could possibly provide cover leading to the outhouse.

Personally, I would have an office. With the amount of people now wfh, a separate office is invaluable and will most likely continue to be a sort-after household fixture in the future.

Either way, I would insulate, double/triple glaze and have some form of mechanical ventilation.

It’s difficult to suggest layout without seeing a sketch of the building in relation to your garage/house.

My Claybrick Home

Hi,

From the detail you have provide I would, like Wumi, opt for an office or workspace.

I have an outdoor office built in my garden at the end of 2019 and I use it everyday. I do work from home but I also enjoy spending time in the space as I overlook the garden.

Do you have any hobbies that this could become a studio for ?

Here's my office if you want a nosy https://www.houzz.co.uk/hznb/projects/outdoor-office-pj-vj~6337969

Its not this tidy anymore as I run my business from it so samples, colour cards, design boards everywhere, but I love it

• K OB

thanks both for your feedback. I'm thinking office more and more as I'm currently working in my son's bedroom and I am reminded of work every time I walk past the room so, for my mental health, I would like it out of the way! I'll do a sketch and upload it for ideas...

• Wumi

How about something like this?

Couple of IKEA Alex drawers, worktop and some shelves.

• K OB

I like that Wumi, I can completely visualise thst kind of set up on the space. thank you so much!

• Wumi

You're welcome ;-)