nayana_cintra

Help please! What type of skylights and where to put them?

N C
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Please help! Can't decide on sky light size, number and location. We're finalising plans ahead of applying for planning permission and building regulations for our new glazed gable end extension. The extension is WNW facing and we're in the South of England. No issues with neighbours or being overlooked etc. The architect (who is actually a property developer friend not an architect but very good and does all his own plans) has suggested four large velux. (I've added the current plans into the comments as I couldn't work out how to upload photos into my post). He always uses velux and from discussions hadn't really considered anything different or bespoke. As this is our long term home we would quite like something a bit different and have been looking online. We thought two taller narrower frameless windows from the supporting wall nearly up to the ridge would look good instead. What do you think? What/how many skylights would you choose on this situation?
We'd like to be able to see the sky and for the windows to look architectural/interesting rather than just popped there by default. We'd also like to get some light into the original part of the house but as it has two windows that's not the biggest priority. My concerns are the SW facing pitch being hot in summer and the fading of furniture and flooring (I've read even with special UV resistant glass this can still be an issue)
Any personal experience or suggestions you have would be really great. Thank you!

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.