e11ie

Beam colour - what would you do?

Luciana

Hi again!

We are renovating our cottage and discovering all sorts of unexpected problems that make me regret starting this!

When enlarging a door opening, the builder was shocked to find the main beam in the boot room completely rotten at one of the ends. As you can see, he replaced the lintel and put a new support in place using this lovely oak timber.

My problem is that the rest of the beam was painted black by previous owners, and I feel the new oak is just too beautiful to paint and I'd rather keep it as it is now. However, I think the contrast is just too noticeable and I don't know how to balance it. Even if we agree to strip the old beam (which will be rather difficult), the colours won't match and I'm afraid we won't be able to do a good job staining them to look the same and the end result would be even worse.

What would you do? I just don't seem to see a solution unless I just leave them as is and learn to live with it... Also, we are rebuilding the large fireplace in the room in stone with a similar new oak mantel, so whatever we decide about the beam should apply to the mantel as well.

• pmasmith3

You could leave the lovely new oak lintel and mantle natural and maybe paint the older dark ceiling beam the same colour as the ceiling, or woodwork.

Luciana thanked pmasmith3
  • chloeloves

I agree with previous comment - heavy black beams can often be too over bearing in my opinion. As you are in the messy stage of works though why don’t you strip a small section of the black beam to see what you are dealing with and get an idea of how it would work with the new oak. Then You can make an informed decision.

Luciana thanked chloeloves

If you could name a colour, what would you call it?

trasimeno love it as an ice breaker game! Italian sky sounds gorgeous! I suspect Rioja Red has already been done but still sounds delicious and would make a great colour.

Decorating the Attic....what would you do?

If you are making a studio that you can actually paint in, then you'll need bare boards varnished or silk-gloss painted - otherwise your rug will get ruined! Also, think about a system for hanging your works - either permanently or whilst they dry. No point having a beautifully-painted wall getting pockmarked with pins or blutac, or never changing your wall display because you want to keep things 'perfect'. A system of 'washing lines' running parallell to and close to the walls works nicely. (Jute string and clothes pegs for an old-fashioned look; steel cable or malin wire and metal hooks for contemporary - yacht chandlers are the place to go for the latter. ) Have a look at Gwen John's paintings for colour inspiration. Even though her painted interiors were Parisian, her palette remained rather English. On damp - limewash is magic. It doesn't seal off damp but processes it. Years ago, I painted the north wall of my very unfinished kitchen in Normandy with limewash, but didn't do the patch where the sink was. When we took the sink out to put in the floor(...) we found that the unpainted patch was DRIPPING but the painted parts were dry.

What would you do with the oak panels in my dark hall?

We have the same type of panelling in our hall and it was oak the same as yours with an oak floor. It just started to feel quite dark and drab but we hesitated to to do anything for fear of messing it up. In the end we painted all the panelling in Farrows French grey, left the doors and floors wood and painted the sides of our staircase and the spindles in Farrows clunch but left the newel posts and the bannister rail as wood - looks like a different hallway - I have never regretted painting it

What would you do with this empty room?

And a link to my ideabook of things I like: http://www.houzz.co.uk/ideabooks/53886065/thumbs/living-room
  • Daisy England

Don’t paint the oak beam. It would be such a shame. Oak has lovely grain.

Luciana thanked Daisy England
  • Luciana

Pmasmith, that is a great idea!! How come I didn't think of it, it seems so obvious now! Thank you, that's what we're going to do.

Chloe, the sides of the beam that were under the ceiling boards are now visible and I did scratch it in a corner... it looks ok, but clearly like an aged timber, that's why I didn't think staining will work. But I can ask the builder to sand it some more.

Daisy, that's what I'm trying to avoid, so the oak will only get waxed for protection!

• Sonia

The oak lintel is lovely. I did see on one of George Clarke’s programmes where he blasted the black, heavy beams with a high pressure water thingy especially for that job. It was a little messy but the beams looked fab after it. However, I do agree that you could paint the big old beam to match the ceiling and the decor style and colour of the room, I’ve seen beams painted white or taupe and they do look lovely and don’t detract from the charm of an old building.

Luciana thanked Sonia
  • Luciana

Sonia, all the beams in the house are painted in black, something that I just thought as ‘normal’ and probably stopped me considering painting the boot room beam in a different colour. The exception is in one of the bedrooms, where they left the main beam natural and painted the others in black.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should have the lounge beams painted in taupe or similar, because I really like the example you showed above...

• pmasmith3

I personally find dark beams overbearing which is why I suggested painting it in the first place - I didn’t realise you had so many though!

Luciana thanked pmasmith3
  • Oliver Pullout

Perhaps you bought substandard materials. I did not have such problems, since I did not save on wood, and also carried out accurate measurements. I bought wood and construction materials on this site https://sheetmaterialswholesale.co.uk/, which seems to be not bad.

• minnie101

It looks gorgeous Luciana! What sort of furniture are you after?

Luciana thanked minnie101
  • Sonia

Looks amazing already. I think a modern county look would look fab with all that character but I think we need to know what style you prefer?

Luciana thanked Sonia
  • Sonia
    • country
  • carocat24

Leaving it as it is would have been my choice too. It shows the history of your house.

Luciana thanked carocat24
  • Jen

Wow, the room looks stunning with the walls white!
    It really suits the minimal look, so I’d be sparing with the furniture - perhaps just two or three beautiful pieces.

Luciana thanked Jen
  • Luciana
    last modified: 2 months ago

Thank you, ladies! I am happy with how it looks, the renovation of this room and the utility took a long time - the builder started working in December last year... And although I got annoyed with him at times for being too anal and meticulous, I cannot fault his work; he has my gratitude for all he's done!

Sonia, French country would be my preference, but with not too much shabby chic in it, if that makes sense.

Caro and Jen, I love the look at the moment, however we have 2 Bernese Mountain dogs and a river just outside that back door... Maybe I should just get white washable paint and resign myself to wiping the walls every other day...

• Luciana

Minnie, I'd love your advice actually!

This is meant to be a boot room and I need storage for all our outdoor gear and dog stuff. I can basically see 2 options and I'm not sure which I should go for.

First option would be a large armoire and a bench, very stylish and 'Instagram-able' which I'd probably go for without hesitation if I didn't have dogs (or my messy, careless husband :)). Also, I'm not sure if it's not too fancy for our cottage.

Beechwood & Llewellyn · More Info

Secondly, I could have a built-in cupboard with a bench... I'd already had a chat with the joiner and we kind of discussed what to do, but he can only start working for us in September, so I still have time to decide...

Timeless · More Info

What do you think? I need practical, but love stylish... What would you choose?

• delyth price

My beams are taupe and I love them

Luciana thanked delyth price
  • Maggie Youngson

Beautiful refurb. WHERE did you get that poppy rug love it

Luciana thanked Maggie Youngson
  • Luciana

Hi Maggie, the rug is a Sanderson design. I bought it in John Lewis, but lots of other shops sell it.

• Maggie Youngson

Cheers

• minnie101

Hi Luciana. i love both options! The armoire definitely isn’t too fancy. Which wall is it going on? i suppose armoires tend not to be as deep for storage but do have the advantage of being on legs so make the room feel bigger, you could also alter the interior so it suits your storage. I‘d probably be a bit nervous of the bench material with the dogs so would look for similar in wood or leather or drape a washable throw lol (the joy of having a dog you can lift up to clean!)

I also love the fitted option with the baskets etc for texture…

Luciana thanked minnie101
  • Luciana

Thank you, Minnie!

The furniture can only go on the wall where the builder plunked that black sideboard atm. I found a few wardrobes that I like, I'm just not sure what to choose. Whilst I'd love an antique, I'm afraid it would be somewhat smelly - in my experience, dusty old things tend to 'acquire' a specific smell that is nearly impossible to eliminate. So I'm considering new (like this one from Scumble Goosie), which I find quite whimsical.

Or an upcycled/refurbished Gustavian style one, like this below from one of my favourite Etsy shops.

I already have a nice bench, one that we found in the barn when we moved in; I had it cleaned and it can be stained or painted to (sort of) match the wardrobe. Although Andrew mentioned we could get some type of a monk bench too...

Or I could have the cupboard made around a bench:

I just don't know what to choose...

• minnie101

😂 me neither! They’re both lovely. I think a white wine vinegar solution helps the smell of old furniture, ours doesn't smell anymore! What’s on the wall from where you took the photo? It’s hard to tell what would be less imposing in the room. i don't know if I’d be tempted to have built in cupboards in the bottom right corner with a bench up to the kitchen (?) door keeping the cupboards in the wall colour. I love the t&g too and you could have baskets under the bench.

Why not try the bench in there first though and see how that looks to give you an idea as i really love the armoire idea? It’s just hard to tell from the photo angle how it would work.

Luciana thanked minnie101
  • Luciana
    last modified: last month

Minnie, I've just finished a discussion with my husband and basically we've decided to go for a built-in, something like this:

with elements of this thrown in - I like the curved panels...

The lower room is still serving as a kitchen, but will become an utility after the extension/ new kitchen is built. I'm not sure if you remember the old pine kitchen; that is now gone, replaced by a rather bland&boring looking utility.

Once more, I'm grateful for your input, thank you! I'll post photos when it's all finished!

• Corrine Brice

Hi Luciana, i love the photos and what youv’ve done! I went for Slaked Lime throughout my house which is an off white but a pale grey rather than yellow hue. It’s from The Little Green Paint Co but my builder had it colour matched by Tikkarilla so its super hard wearing and scrubbable. highly recommend the paint 👍🏼

Luciana thanked Corrine Brice
  • minnie101

Hi Luciana. Sorry i missed your reply! I’m glad you’ve made a decision, the units will look lovely. i do remember the old kitchen, so is the boot room the old upper part of the kitchen? i hope we get to see the extension once its built!

Luciana thanked minnie101
  • Karen Orrell

I realise this is an old thread, but for anyone else who looks at it because they have black painted beams, my house was full of them (in one room alone there was approx 50 of them) and we hand stripped them all. It was a long messy job but worth it. We used a paint stripping gel (just got it from b&q but I'm afraid the brand escapes me), then we used a scraper and stainless steel scourers plus our super weapon, the cheap, basic Tesco baby wipes. They got a surprising amount of paint off and I'm not sure I'd ever want to use them anywhere near a baby!

We were lucky our beams had only one coat of paint on them. When we had to replace a visible sole plate, the contractor found a reclaimed piece and although the colour difference is there it's not so noticeable that anyone but us would see it imo.

As we stripped them, some amazing detail that had been disguised by the paint came out. A number of the beams had Roman numerals carved into them so the builders knew which beams went where and one of them, next to a door, is textured like bark in one place.

Having said all that, I'm all beamed out now and determined that our next house will have no beams at all!

Luciana thanked Karen Orrell
  • Yvo Goodson

Always go fitted cupboards in a functional room. You don’t have to clean under them!

Luciana thanked Yvo Goodson
  • Luciana
    last modified: last month

Corrine, that kitchen looks fabulous! I love those roughly stripped planks, what a great idea!

Thanks for the paint suggestion, I've been looking at Portland Stone and French Grey Pale samples from Little Greene, but will get Slaked Lime as well. Never heard of Tikkurila, my decorator swears by Dulux Trade Diamond for scrubbable paint, so I normally try to match colours to their palette (which is a pain at times).

Karen, that is impressive! I imagine how much patience and time you've put into cleaning your beams. I admit, 10 or more years ago I'd probably would have tried to do it your way... these days, and with the amount of work the house needs, I'm just happy to get it clean and functional...

At the moment I need to decide what to do about the staircase... I'm not sure if I should encourage my husband to continue stripping (he's done the paneling, didn't even start on the spindles), filling the house with wood dust and other yucky goo stuff, or just tell him to have them painted white and be done with it! The whole thing is oak, not pine, so I'm hesitating, but I'm rather fed up with the never ending mess...

This is an older Christmas pic, where you can see the staircase better:

• Jen

Wow, what a fabulous hall! And the stripped oak is stunning… I guess I’d be encouraging your husband to continue with his labours, despite the mess 😉

Luciana thanked Jen
  • minnie101

The oak does look rather nice!!

Luciana thanked minnie101
  • Luciana
    last modified: last month

I agree, the oak is nice, the only problem is that it's been like this for a year. And knowing my husband, it's going to take another 2 years until he'll finish the job.

Minnie, this is how the lower kitchen/ utility room looks now. We don't live there atm, the roof is being replaced so we are back in Cardiff. At the moment the house belongs to the builders :)) I barely managed to put some stuff in place, so I don't have good photographs, just some quickly taken ones on the way out. I promise some good/updated pics as soon as I can reclaim the house!

• minnie101

Even lovelier from that angle! i guess a year is a long time but I’d persevere! Or ask if the builders can finish it?! Maybe that will incentivise your husband?!

The lower kitchen looks lovely, love the colour. i didnt realise the roof needed doing as well, there wont be much untouched at this rate, so worth it though for it such a beautiful house in that stunning setting though. Fingers crossed you‘re back there soon and hope our lovely ”summer” does’t hold the roof up further

Luciana thanked minnie101
  • Sarah Bridger

Why dont you check out the company Back from Black beam renovations They can bring all the beams to the same colour

• midwalesparky

@Karen Orrell I doubt you had one room with 50 beams; more likely to have been a few beams and the rest would've been joists - perpendicular to the beams. Beams bigger/joists a bit smaller.

• Bruce Burn

Matching the colour of old and new oak beams is such a first world problem ! Oak is a beautiful wood in all its shades and variety, enjoy its natural beauty.