lynette6960

Entrance Hall Design Dilemma - help please!

Nettie
3 years ago

Calling all experts!

We are gradually doing up a 1930’s house that was very dark, gloomy and dated when we moved in. We now seem to have the opposite problem though, in that our hallway seems too light and cold! So we’re after some help from the experts to see if there are a few quick wins we can put into action!

The hall table was a quick fix and hasn’t been given any attention on the décor front, it’s just functional at the moment! We would like to replace it with something more bold (have thought of a chair & table, bench, floor lamp etc), or even painting the current table a darker colour maybe. Difficult to know what is best with the stairs designed as it is - glad of ideas on this.

We put in the dark wallpaper below the dado rail to try and add in some body to the hall stairs and landing, without overpowering it. But with the white stairs cupboards, light tiles, white front door, and big windows, it just all seems too stark at the moment. Particularly as the house has tall ceilings. All my searches on Houzz seem to show me darker floors and I'm wondering if we've made a mistake with such light floors!? We have got 2 radiator covers on order currently, but these are white still. Realise the walls are all quite bare but it's a question of where to start and we don't want to clutter the place up! Should we paint the area round the front door a different colour or something?

Be very glad of some thoughts and suggestions – thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.