mosah_torres

Downstairs renovation idea (first-time buyers)

Mosiah Torres
3 years ago

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are buying our first home and whilst things are going through with the solicitors, we've been busy thinking how to make the most of our new home!

We both like watching TV programmes about interior design, particularly loving George Clarke's Amazing Spaces at the moment.

This house we are buying has had a ground floor extension built by the previous owners, however we feel that the extra downstairs bedroom that was added is way too big, and we'd like to claim some of that space to have a bigger lounge sitting area. We'd also like to open up the wall between the kitchen and the dining room, but we are unsure whether this is even possible, as there is a fireplace there (which is not in use, or even on show, it's covered up behind a wall).

This is the current layout:

And this is what we thought we could perhaps do with it (edits done on MS Paint hehe):

In summary, we'd like to:

1) move the bathroom location and turn it into an en-suite, thus making the room smaller and gaining space in the sitting room.

1a) we'd keep the shower, toilet and sink, and keep the bathroom width the same, literally just move it along. Question: what are the implications with the pipework, is it an massive amount of work getting it rerouted to the side of the house?

2) we'd like to open up the wall between the kitchen and dining room. We'd block up the current entrance to the kitchen and use that space for the fridge freezer. plus are a new counter. Our dream is to have an inland one day, but we don't think it'd be possible with this house?

2a) can a wall where a fireplace is be opened up? we'd be willing to lose the fireplace, i mean it currently is walled up anyways.

Between the lounge and dining room we were thinking of putting some sliding door, and maybe in the future we could look into bifold doors to the garden from the sitting room.

We'd be so grateful for your advice and thoughts on these plans, plus if there are things that we are not considering (I'm sure there is lots) please do let us know.

Thank you so much guys, I've been a lurker for a little while and this is an amazing community.

Happy weekend to everyone!

Thanks,

Mosiah

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.