gekko2670

En suite bathroom advice

gekko2670
3 years ago

Hi, I am really struggling with my en suite bathroom layout. The size is 2.9m x 1.7m. The shower takes up 80cm width, we then have a double sink which is 136cm wide. We will need 10cm gap between the shower glass and the vanity unit. That takes up a total of 226cm with, leaving only 64cm width for the toilet and space around the toilet. Do you think this is manageable?

Alternatively the toilet can go on the other wall to the right of the door but this will be behind the door. Would it be strange to have the toilet on this side.

Thanks you,

Comments (14)

• hedgehog99
    3 years ago

Might be an idea (if you haven't already) to check with your builder about what the soil pipe options are, as that may limit you. But broadly speaking I think it would be fine and perhaps even preferable to have the loo behind the door, as that means you don't see it when you open the door. And it would mean you have a nice generous space around your double vanity, inc wall space to hang a towel rail or two.

• rinked
    3 years ago

64cm? No. 80 at least.

gekko2670 thanked rinked
  • Jonathan
    3 years ago

Alternative

• gekko2670
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the suggestion. I worry it won’t be nice to look at the toilet as soon as you enter the room

• gekko2670
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Do building regulations require 80cm for sign off? or is it just recommended

• rinked
    3 years ago

If I remember correctly minimum is 35cm heart to wall, for old buildings.

I'd suggest a decent sized single sink.

• gekko2670
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We already have the double sink, it was something we didn’t want to compromise on! So trying to make everything else work around it :)

• User
    3 years ago

The toilet will be closer to the soil pipe on the other side, so that should be a cost saving, and leave a nice space around the basins. Change the door to hang the other way, so the toilet is behind the door when opened.

• PRO
    Mabel Fox Design
    3 years ago

Hiya, is the door to the en-suite swing or sliding (pocket door)? If sliding then moving the loo round the corner from the sink could work? More elbow room if you know what I mean! Having the double sink the first thing you see when you go in the room will be lovely, so hopefully moving the loo round and having a sliding door will solve the problem? Mark the layout on the floor somewhere, using chairs and stuff to see how it feels, that usually helps me out when visualising. Good luck!

• CWD
    3 years ago

I'd do Jonathan's design but keep the shower where you had it - so put the double sinks under the window. Yes, it's preferable to not walk straight into toilet, but in this case I think it's better than having the toilet on different wall to the sinks. This is only because you've got the sinks already though - one big sink would work better in the space really and allow you to keep it all on one wall and not walk straight into toilet.

• gekko2670
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for your advice, can I ask why it is so bad to have the toilet on the opposite wall behind the door? Could it not be nice to have the toilet more ‘hidden’ ? Thank you

• PRO
    Mabel Fox Design
    3 years ago

I was thinking of the loo being on the wall adjacent to the sink, not opposite. How would you feel about that? As I say, try marking out on the floor with chairs representing the loo and sink unit. See if it feels right to you.
    There is no rule about having them in a row, it’s just that it looks neat, but if it doesn’t fit, it doesn’t fit. Let us know if you try out the alternative layout options, and how you get on.
    Small spaces are tricky but you will get there!

• Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

My en-suite is a similar layout to your original idea - apart from the toilet is turned 90 degrees and sits under the window. Would that work?? It would free up a bit of space at the side of the vanity... We also hung our door to open outwards - so the en suite feels more spacious.

• CWD
    3 years ago

having the toilet on the opposite wall doesn't work as there's not enough clearance to get onto toilet (between corner of sink and toilet) - and I think it's even more awful for someone to walk in on you from the side if you're on the loo, even if you're behind a door - but that's my own nightmare scenario! having the toilet below the window means that you will be standing right in front of toilet when standing at the sink on the right (which I don't like unless it's absolutely necessary - that would definitely be the husband's sink). having the toilet beside shower means there's space to the side of the toilet when standing at sinks, which seems like the best option to me. but it's your house and you need to think about what's most important to you - not seeing toilet immediately you open the door or having more space around it. I'd also try to line up the doorway with the space between toilet and sinks, so that it's not directly in front of toilet.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.