gareth_sumner

1960s open tread staircase renovation suggestions please

Gareth Sumner

Hi,

We are planning to renovate our 1960s open tread staircase. We want to modernise and make it safe without completely losing the openness or character. (There is a roof light above that brings light down into the open plan room.

We have some ideas and like the idea of using birch plywood for spindles like shown in thisblog. However we are not sure how best to deal with the treads.

Are there any suggestions of how to reduce the gap on the treads cost effectively, without completely losing the openness?

We think we will have to paint the existing structure white as the existing wood colour won't work with the ply, but not sure if that will be in-practical at showing dirt?

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Gareth