leo_alagaratnam

Rectangular master bedroom or larger ensuite? Protruding step in wall

Leo A
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Following a rear extension to our 1st-floor bedroom, we have a long but relatively narrow master bedroom. We have space for an ensuite and want a walk-in closet to remove the large floor to ceiling wardrobes that would otherwise cut into the room.

However, we have had to reposition the shower near the external wall creating a longer ensuite and this now thrown out our original design by creating a step (circled in red in the attached plan) in what would have been a rectangular bedroom.

We would rather not reposition the door because of the narrow hallway and the wall directly opposite. We also prefer to have the door open into the room as shown, rather than towards the wall/closet due to increased privacy.

Despite the generous size, there are still compromises and I am not sure how restrictive the 50cm protruding step in the wall would be. It is approximately halfway along the wall as you enter the room. I thought of hanging a mirror there to give the protrusion some purpose but it still seems too close to the bedroom door.

Will the stepped wall be fine? Or should we reduce the length of the ensuite to line up with the walk-in closet? Or increase the length of the walk-in closet and reposition the bedroom door to create a nice square bedroom?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (18)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.