Hallway or no hallway?

Kat739

Hi all, we’re planning some renovations and removing two internal walls to go partially open plan in our kitchen, dining, living area. My dilemma is whether to retain the hallway or not - pic 1 or 2?

Currently the hallway contains the porch entrance door, stairs, downstairs toilet door, kitchen entrance and lounge entrance. It’s nice and light as the lounge entrance are double glass doors but will quite dark when we close those doors off so we have currently planned in an eye level internal window to still allow in some light.

Pros of retaining the hallway:

- extra wall space for storage

- separation of noise / smells from the downstairs to upstairs

- structural implications, we will probably require some sort of pillar in the middle of the open plan area which I’m not keen on

- loss of storage in the utility as well need to move the WC door around

Cons

- a bit more living area

- it ‘looks‘ more complete from the floor plan

There are certainly more practical pros over cons however I can’t help think that the hallway will have no real purpose once we’ve joined up the downstairs rooms. It will just feel like a narrow hallway with one door either end, especially considering we already have a porch, it feels like duplication.

when you walk into the house.

Happy to hear any thoughts or if anyone has experience of removing a hallway and whether they were glad they did it or regretted it! Thanks in advance.