webuser_330916708

Fair outcome for plasterer for badly done job.

HU-330916708
3 years ago

Hello

I hired a plasterer to come and replaster my hallway. I took the previous wallpaper off and found the plaster to be in a complete state. The plasterer I hired said he could sort it with nets and a skim instead of taking off all the plaster and it would be cheaper without much difference. He gave me two prices for the options and I went with his advice and got him to do the cheaper job. However the plaster started to bubble in a few small areas and has already started cracking in multiple places (a day after it was done), and although the painter has tried to cover the affected areas up with filler it looks bad. I have already paid the painter for the job (his part of the job was good). The whole point of taking off the wallpaper was to have a nicer looking hallway. Additionally the area was a mess, he got plaster on doors that had just been repainted and also on the hallway bannister, which will now have to be repainted and I will need to pay the painter again.

I had already paid the plasterer by the time I noticed, however when I messaged him he phoned up and was apologetic and will meet me at the house to see what can be done. I got the impression he just wants to repair those areas but I think the whole thing needs to be replastered as I am not confident in the skim job now.

I am not good at dealing with the situations. Is it fair for me to demand him to redo the job and take all the plaster off, paying him the difference in price between what the jobs would have been? Or should I offer to pay for some of his time to redo it/accept his repair offer since I went with the skim job?

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.