orla48

Alcove challenges

orla48
3 years ago

Hi everyone

We have moved into our new house 2 weeks ago and we are looking at renovating this room first. As you can see, the 2 alcoves either side of the wood burner have windows at the top as the house is built on a hill, so the windows are to allow light to come in as they meet ground level. We wanted to build in bookcases that would house the tv, books etc and incorporate a corner library where the bookcase wrapped around the left hand corner of the room to create a little reading book.

However, the windows present an issue. If we build up to them, I think it will look a little odd. We can’t build over them as we will lose the light. I was thinking we could build in bookcases that incorporated a glass panel at the top, but that creates more complexity and cost.

Any ideas would be most welcome!

Thanks

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.