webuser_636389795

Double or triple glazing across the back for sliders and bi-folds ?

Lawrence Meakins
3 years ago

Hi,

Been fantastic forum for renovation project and had another query, below is plan for rear renovation which has 2.5m bi-folds in kitchen area and 4.8m 3 panel slider in dining/lounge area (two panels will slide toward living/TV end). The windows overlook garden which is South West Facing and gets full heat of the sun from lunchtime to evening. We are going for motorised roller blinds on all the windows at the back and wet underfloor heating:

We have been quoted for double glazed units with U value of 1.6. Part of the reason we are doing renovation is to get rid of conservatory that was boiling in summer and freezing in winter although a lot of the heat used to come through the roof of the conservatory.

Been reading a lot about double versus triple glazed and there is a bit of a concern will become like a furnace due to solar gain although quite a big area inside. We can always close the blinds if out and also can open the doors when in. Really not sure whether to go for expense and weight of triple glazed to reduce solar gain, also read triple glazed would increase chance of outdoor condensation although not sure how much of a real issue that is. Believe the U value of the triple glazed is 1.3. Have also read there are coatings that can help but waiting to hear from installer what options are, they are using Smart architectural products (visioglide plus for the sliders link).

What would/have people done in this scenario where a lot of glass which is south/south west facing ?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

Lawrence

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.