swaroux

Layout solution to coffin-sized entryway?

swaroux
16 days ago
last modified: 16 days ago

I've lived in my petite 1-bed South London home for over 5 years now and the ground floor layout simply does not work for me. It never did to be honest... But I'm nearing breaking point and so I turn to the houzz community for help! The houzz link to the floorplan for the ground floor can be found here to help show the issue: https://www.houzz.co.uk/hznb/photos/ground-floor-phvw-vp~171904408 (i've having some trouble uploading the photo directly into this message - I've also posted it in the comments below!). To the right you can see the main entrance to the house. There are doors either side - the left leading into the living room and the right leading into the kitchen. That tiny entryway only holds enough space for one person to awkwardly shuffle into the house, hang a coat on the wall immediately facing them, shuffle towards the living room in order to close the front door, before being able to head into the kitchen (why do builders commit crimes like this?!). That's the first (and main) problem I'd love to solve somehow. As part of solving this problem, I'd also love to be able to bring in some of that south-facing sunlight from the kitchen that faces the garden and into the living room a little bit. The living room doesn't get much natural light due to its orientation. I thought about knocking through walls but then the problem remains with the entryway - it's weird to enter the home and immediately be in both the kitchen and the living room at the same time - the whole groundfloor would just end up as one big expanse of space and that's not a good solution either. So my question to you is this: what is the optimum layout (without moving the location of the front door)?

Comments (17)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.