julie_hopper99

how to “match” or not match herringbone floor next to a staircase

Julie Hopper
3 years ago

Hi all! I am having our floors redone and picked a white oiled oak herringbone floor for our main level and hallway. Our hallway is met by the entrance to our flat which is a staircase - landing and then another small staircase leading to the main floor.

Unfortunately I cannot get the same finish in normal plank to do our steps and landing (currently, we have carpet), and I was advised the herringbone wouldn’t work very well on the steps/landing so it’s better to do normal plank in something else. What I am worried about is, if I choose a different plank wood that doesn’t really match, it will look funny next to the herringbone. However, I have seen some cases where you just simply don’t try to match it and it does seem to be OK.

Options I am considering:

1. Should I just pull up the carpet and see what the wood is like underneath, consider topping up the paint and getting a low pile runner (because it’s a high traffic area if we do a runner we’d want it to be dark)

2. get unfinished oak and paint it a solid colour, then maybe we can do the herringbone on the landing - this option may be difficult to paint everything because it’s our only entryway so needs to dry

3. just get a neural invisible oiled oak so wouldn’t match exactly to the herringbone but, maybe that’s OK?

Attached is a photo of our hallway/entrance in question. Trying to think of a practical solution yet want it to look nice! Also don’t want to break the bank... ideally..

Thanks for any advice/tips!

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.