syncretin

What can I do with this tiny awkward-shaped yard?

syncretin
last modified: 20 days ago

Hello there.

I'm in need of some inspiration/advice with what to do with our small outdoor concrete patch. As you can see from the photos attached, it needs a fair bit of work!

It's a long, thin, slightly sloping, concrete triangle and pre-pandemic was used to park a car. Ideally, we'd still like to have the option to park a car here, so we want to do something that makes it more enclosed (that's a busy public walkway the other side of the gates) and more 'garden-like'.

I was thinking of putting gravel down, but the OH is not keen. The only other option is astroturf though, without spending a fortune in levelling/slabbing (there is also an old drain - where the toilet waste exits too - which can be seen in one photo so we need to work around that). The nasty cheap bamboo screening worked on a temporary basis last year, so we weren't like animals in a zoo to the folk walking past, but I hope to make a more permanent/attractive fence. Any idea how I can work with the existing gate and make this happen?

With regards to seating/shade, I'm hoping to fix hammock fittings somewhere, and have a clip-on sail-type shade for the summer months. I'd also really like some planters fixed to the top of the brick wall with some sort of evergreen grass/shrub in (I'm not too fussed on flowers, so easy low-maintenance greenery is the aim!).

I'm aiming to do as much work using reclaimed/second hand materials too - I'm quite happy with power tools and prefer to reuse and recycle than buy new! I would appreciate any inspiration photos/ideas to help me along, as I've never done any work on any garden ever before!

Thank you in advance. X

The wooden fencing at the back of this photo is a gate to next door, and we need to keep this accessible due to an easement on our property deeds.