syncretin

What can I do with this tiny awkward-shaped yard?

syncretin
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello there.

I'm in need of some inspiration/advice with what to do with our small outdoor concrete patch. As you can see from the photos attached, it needs a fair bit of work!

It's a long, thin, slightly sloping, concrete triangle and pre-pandemic was used to park a car. Ideally, we'd still like to have the option to park a car here, so we want to do something that makes it more enclosed (that's a busy public walkway the other side of the gates) and more 'garden-like'.

I was thinking of putting gravel down, but the OH is not keen. The only other option is astroturf though, without spending a fortune in levelling/slabbing (there is also an old drain - where the toilet waste exits too - which can be seen in one photo so we need to work around that). The nasty cheap bamboo screening worked on a temporary basis last year, so we weren't like animals in a zoo to the folk walking past, but I hope to make a more permanent/attractive fence. Any idea how I can work with the existing gate and make this happen?

With regards to seating/shade, I'm hoping to fix hammock fittings somewhere, and have a clip-on sail-type shade for the summer months. I'd also really like some planters fixed to the top of the brick wall with some sort of evergreen grass/shrub in (I'm not too fussed on flowers, so easy low-maintenance greenery is the aim!).

I'm aiming to do as much work using reclaimed/second hand materials too - I'm quite happy with power tools and prefer to reuse and recycle than buy new! I would appreciate any inspiration photos/ideas to help me along, as I've never done any work on any garden ever before!

Thank you in advance. X

The wooden fencing at the back of this photo is a gate to next door, and we need to keep this accessible due to an easement on our property deeds.

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.