holly_cummins84

Column radiators under wide 1930s windows

Holly C.
2 years ago

I'm planning to replace my panel radiators with column radiators, to reintroduce some period character. If I've got my BTU calculations correct, the new radiators will need smaller dimensions than my current ones. Normally, this would be a good result, but it creates an awkwardness because of my windows.

I've got wide 1930s windows, positioned high on the wall. (Please ignore curtains and walls, which will be changed!)

Ideally, I think the radiators would match the window and occupy most of the vertical space, to maybe 10cm below the window. Given my window proportions, I think I have these choices:

1. Have a too-narrow appropriate-height radiator, centred under the window.
  2. Have the width match the window, but go for a low window. It will be expensive, and I think it would look awkward.
  3. Match height and width, and use a thermostatic valve to limit the heat output. But radiators are expensive enough buying more radiator than I need seems silly.
  4. Move the radiator to avoid the window and avoid the problem. This could be done in some rooms, but in most the window seems like the logical place.
  5. Abandon the column radiator plan - what's the point, if they make things look worse?

What should I do?

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.