webuser_465854903

Garden design ideas & inspiration - 1 planter or 3? Pleached trees?

Kay
2 years ago

We’ve just taken down a garage which opens up the garden. It’s not a huge space but this really makes a difference to the light & feeling of space. I’d like to create more of a proper garden, not just pots which I mostly had before.

The garden faces south west, the soil is poor, dry & stony so will need topping up, there’s now lots of sun light all day.

I’ll turn the back of the old garage space into a built in seating area & am planning to create more interesting greenery to look out on from new large kitchen window, a shaped bed to the left of the garage & possibly a thin one in front of the windows, together with grass, retaining some of the current stones but reducing the area they cover.

There will be one long area right along the white wall (wooden gates are moving back in line with house) so I’m currently debating whether creating maybe 3 individual large planters (with possibly 1 / 2 small trees as well as shrubs / possible espalier apple tree, standard hydrangeas, olive, acer (might be too hot) ) rather than 1 long border might work well? Any thoughts are most welcome.

I’m also looking into pleached trees to add at the back to try & distract from the houses behind. This has poor soil & is a little more shady. We can’t hide them but just to add height & disguise a bit . Probably only 1 due to cost of them - has anyone any experience of these? Hornbeam / Beech / Photinia Red Robin perhaps? But I don’t want them to destroy the grass. I’ve heard cherry likes too much water so would effect others nearby.

I like gardening & am looking forward to buying plants but also want it to be a space that my teenagers can come out into to enjoy sitting with book / on screens.

All ideas on layout or plants are much appreciated (non-toxic, cat friendly!)

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.