webuser_851699381

Biofuel fireplace and tv wall; Have you built one?

Donna Cook
2 years ago

I have a biofuel ribbon fire I bought some weeks ago to fit into a purpose built false chimney breast. The structure is also to house the tv and possibly a sound bar in a single recess above the fire. (It’s a single recess because we might change the sound bar.) I haven’t started work on this yet as my builder has been busy elsewhere.
Since buying the fire itself, and the vermiculite board and cement, etc, to construct the fireplace recess, there has been a change in construction guidance so I now need to make a different structure. The original advice was to build the chimney breast with standard C24 stud wall, vermiculite fireplace and board over with pink fire board and skim with plaster. Apparently, I now can’t do this and, according to the vermiculite retailer, need to build the structure with fireproof construction board, plus some very expensive adhesives and plastering materials used in abundance. Aside from suddenly changing my cost effective and future-proof fire into a hugely expensive and highly complex job, I’m not sure I’d trust a structure with no kind of stud work to hold my tv off the floor!
My thought now is to use metal stud work, vermiculite & fire cement as before, with the fireproof construction board for the front of the chimney breast, pink fire board for the sides of the chimney breast and a skim of gypsum-free plaster on the front, sides and in the tv recess.
Has anyone out there had experience of a biofuel fireplace construction (of the liquid, not the gel variety)? What did you use and was it successful? Any photos, too? (FWIW, I’ve been in contact with the fire retailer who have now asked that I inform them how I get on, and the materials retailer who sent me guidance for a log burner installation and asked for photos of the room I plan to build the false chimney breast. They’re now not answering the phone.)

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.