webuser_636389795

Anyone got solar control glass ? Pergola or Brise Soleil Instead ?

Lawrence Meakins
2 years ago

Hi we are looking at some 4.8m sliders and 2.5m bi-folds in a south west facing garden and worried about overheating. Been looking at various solutions including pergolas and Brise Soleil to create shading. Did find on one site that for a Brise Soleil in south west elevation would need 0.7m * window height (2m) so 1.4m to create an adequate shield, we are probably more West than South West where recommended elevation is even bigger.

Keep coming back to solar control glass but really nervous that it will make everything look a bit dull when looking out.

As far as I can tell these three glasses are essentially the same but potentially made under license:

Saint Gobain SGG Bioclean Natura

Pilkington Activ SunShade Neutral

Glass Systems Ecoclean Sunshield Neutral with sun control

None of them have decent pictures although claim to be neutral but which reflecting approx 70 of solar reflection thus reducing solar gain also only lets in approx 40% of the light. The pilkington site mentions a slight grey appearance, all the ranges also do a blue, bronze or aqua type tint that want to avoid.

Anyone faced similar dilemma and plumped for solar control glass or haven't and wished they had ?

Be great to hear from anyone with one of the above products and get a feel for how it is looking out on both a sunny and a grey day.

Torn between just going clear triple glazed which reduces solar gain a bit over double I believe and dealing with the hot days and then enjoying clear glass for the rest of the time.

Likely to have internal roller blinds on wall inside but whilst these I think will cut the light out the heat will already be in.

Some of the pergola ideas seen images of look quite smart but not sure really want to go that route.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Lawrence

Comments (8)

• Lawrence Meakins
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for reply, seems very few people have it but the more I read on the amount of glass we are looking at in a south west orientation we will either need to use solar control glass or put quite an overhang in either with a brise soleil or pergola, always thought south would have suffered more but now understand during the worst heat of day from say 1-4 the sun beats directly on those windows quite low in sky, last week has been roasting sitting where those windows will be so been bit of an eye opener. Shame there does seem to be a bit of grey tint as for a good portion of year the solar gain wouldn't be a problem and of course in winter an advantage. With the amount of people going for big sliders and bifolds thought there would be more people experiencing overheating but maybe over thinking it !

In answer to skylight question we wouldn't be putting any in even though a single storey where all the glass is going, some of what we are doing is replacing a conservatory which was roasting and most of the heat seemed to come in through the roof or it certainly felt like it.

Thanks,

Lawrence

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

I think an outdoor awning/pergola/brise soleil is the way to go.
    In a previous house one of my doors would expand in the heat of direct afternoon sun and would be impossible to close until it had cooled in the evening

Lawrence Meakins thanked Jonathan
  • Lawrence Meakins
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for comment, just been outside looking and there is not much wall above the glazing (207 opening) on single storey so the pergola/brise soleil would be quite low and in winter in itself cause shading to the room so thinking an awning or retractable pergola roof could be a solution or just go all in on solar glass and live with a grey tint....

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

Sliding shutters?

Lawrence Meakins thanked Jonathan
  • Lawrence Meakins
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well I've never seen those !Thanks for that, we have acorn drain right outside but will look into those a bit more, thanks, Lawrence

• Sarah oB
    last year

We had 5m sliding doors fitted with solar tint (doesn’t impede the view at all), we face south west m. We have 3 windows that open for ventilation and are currently looking into further measures to decrease the solar gain. The last two summers have been extremely hot and we need to stop our extension hearing up so much. Go with the tinted glass, if you haven’t already.

• Laura Tulloch
    last year

We are looking at putting up brise soleil at the front of our Victorian home thst we’ve just renovated as we’ve baked over this past summer. I’ve found someone on eBay who makes them plus powdercoater. There are examples of brise soleil on new apartment buildings in our area but not sure if we’ll get planning permission from our council (Waltham Forest) but we’re not in a Conservation area so hopefully we’ll get permission. If we don’t I might put them up anyway - better to stay cool and energy efficient than to bake!!!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.