melneep

Help with paint colours in dark hallway!

melanie Neep
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi

We have recently extended our kitchen from dark north facing room to a bright open space (painted in F&B Strong white), and we have now shifted our attention to the hallway.

I'm keen to maintain a 'flow' of colours through the house, though our hallway is much darker and only really recieves light from the small side window at the entrance and the 3 adjoining rooms so we rely on a combination of daylight and artificial down lights.

The 3 rooms are painted in paint & paper salt 1, magnolia (we haven't done this room yet!) and the kitchen walls in F&B Strong white with dimpse units and railing island. I have lovely warm greige floor tiles in the kitchen too. The downstairs loo off the hallway is painted in Zoffany Nocturne which links to the kitchen island.

We have Amtico traditional oak floor in the hallway which is quite a warm amber / honey colour.

I need to choose a colour for the walls and we also have to choose colours for a built-in alcove cupboard (with LED lighting), understair storage cupboard, an old bulky pigs ear stair handrail, banisters and then the oak handrail and front door as well.

The architrave and skirtings I intend to keep white to co-ordinate with the other rooms.

I have looked at Johnstone's version of both F&B Ammonite and Cornforth white - Johnstone's is almost but not quite a colour match. Both paler and cornforth more purple / blue than F&B version. Ammonite can look quite bland in some lights, especially with the artificial downlighting, though thinking this could be the right choice for the walls. The Johnstone's version of Cornforth also doesn't tie in so well with the kitchen space/ hallway floor because of the purple.

I was thinking of painting the pigs ear handrail, alcove & understair cupboard doors in a darker shade to contrast. Not sure if this is a good idea?? If so, what colour should I choose or do I stick to the same colour as the walls? Also the understair front cupboard door?

Also what colour should I paint the front door or would it be better to sand down to an natural oak colour?

Any advice would be amazing as I'm rather confused!!!

Thanks in advance

Melanie

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.