katrinatkd

Help please with ground floor layout

Katrina Prescott
2 years ago

Hello,

We need help with the ground floor layout of our bungalow, specifically the kitchen and family bathroom. As part of the loft conversion works, the architect has included in the drawing the removal of the kitchen walls to open up the space to a multi-function living/dining/kitchen area which will also let in more light the current dining area and to embrace the view of the garden.

The kitchen was renovated by the previous owners approximately 5 years ago. For the moment, to save money we are only going to remove half the wall to create a half wall between the current living area and kitchen. Keeping the floor cupboards and losing the wall cupboards. The architect at the time suggested converting the family bathroom to a utility but we are now against this idea.

Also we have an American fridge / freezer in the garage which we'll move into the kitchen when the kitchen work is carried out and have it plumbed up so we can use the water/ice dispenser. This means we will 'mess' up the look of the kitchen as it means removing the integrated fridge freezer and another cupboard to house this.

We will live with this half wall and 'messy' kitchen temporarily until we save up enough to do it properly.

We are struggling with the ground floor plan...

- Kitchen layout. Ideally it would be nice to keep the dishwasher / oven / hob / sink layout as is to save cost

- Family bathroom

1. Keep the layout as is and not moving the water tank up to loft
  2. Move the tank to upstairs to free up space for storage per the original plan
  3. Or use the extra space gained and bring the bathroom wall forward to house the toilet and sink on the same wall as the bath so that when you walk in from the front, you have a clear sight line into the garden with a tall window opening behind the staircase instead of just be greeted by a staircase and a wall in the background.

- Last option is extension, the most costly. Extend the back wall of kitchen and living space out (by 3/3.5m?) and use this as a utility / pantry. The other end from the living area can be flexible, thinking reading or desk area for kids homework or when I work from home.

I've played around with the layouts, would welcome your thoughts / ideas.

Thank you!

Comments (23)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.