fiona_morrison25

LVT or engineered wood for open plan area with child and cat?

Fi Mo
2 years ago

Any help to make this decision would be greatly appreciated as I'm going round in circles since big decision to get right. We recently moved in to a house which needs renovated and are ready to start on the living areas. Ideally we would like the same flooring for open plan kitchen, living room, dining room, front hall and utility room. These are the things we need to take in to consideration - we have a little boy and a cat, 2 sets of patio doors in the living room and my partner works downstairs in the cellar.
Ideally I would like engineered wood as I love that it is a natural product, has more character and can be re-sanded when necessary. My partner thinks LVT is the more practical option with children, pets and less likely to scratch/get water damage etc.
I was happy to look at them as I do like the fact they are softer underfoot than the laminate we had in out previous home and easy to care for. However, I've had large samples from Amtico, Karndean, Moduleo and Khars and can't get over how plasticky they seem in certain lights. I'm waiting on some Polyflor samples as I have read they are more matt.
Each flooring company we have spoken too have all said the LVT is the best option with young children and cats, that wood is too soft and will scratch.
My partner is ok for us to go with engineered wood (think I would leave it out the kitchen) if I really don't like any LVTs but I'm feeling a bit apprehensive to put the wood in and it ends up badly marked, but also worried to put LVT down and not like it! 😆
Can anyone recommend an engineered wood which has withstood family life and also give me an idea of how much per metre you need to spend for a mid range/fairly decent engineered wood? Or does anyone have engineered wood with children and pets and wish you had gone with an LVT for ease? Should I leave the engineered wood for now and stick with practical option? Thank you.

Comments (22)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.