webuser_221341259

Advice on upstairs layout

J Green
2 years ago

Hello

We’re currently renovating and extending our house.

After the extension, downstairs will have a large entrance hall, large open plan kitchen/diner/living area, separate utility room, separate living room, and a downstairs loo. All rooms will be generous in size, and feel really spacious and airy.

Upstairs, we have two options:

4 bedroom option:

Includes a master suite (with an en-suite and walk-in-wardrobe/dressing room), 3 double bedrooms, a large family bathroom (big enough to have a separate bath and shower), and a large landing.

The benefit to this design feels like it will give us a more spacious and airy upstairs, in-keeping with the rest of the house.

The position of the door into the master suite gives us a lot of flexibility with the layout of this room – it gives us the ability to create a very luxurious dressing room and en-suite, with lots of space for storage of clothes, getting dressed, and space for double sink/separate bath if we want them.

It gives us a large, impressive landing (the same size as our entrance hall downstairs) and it could easily accommodate some statement furniture, such as nice bookcase or sofa.

But it will be a very large landing, so we're wondering if it makes the best use of the space available?

5 bedroom option:

Includes a master suite (with an en-suite and walk-in-wardrobe/dressing room), 2 double bedrooms, 2 single bedrooms, and a family bathroom.

The benefit to this design is that we gain a bedroom. Given the increase in working from home, we wonder whether this will be more useful, as it allows for a separate study. It also means that we don’t have such a big landing upstairs which could feel like a bit of a waste space.

But it would mean a smaller family bathroom - the shower would have to be above the bath.

It also restricts the layout of the master-suite, as the door into this room is in the middle (so it doesn’t allow for a very large dressing room/ensuite).

We’re also worried that the hallway to the master bedroom could feel narrow and dark.

We're struggling to decide which layout to go for.

Below are initial designs for the 4 bedroom and 5 bedroom. I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.