webuser_71660

How to stop heat in South facing room with bifolds

Tani H-S
2 years ago

We didn't bother with coverings when we build the extension a couple of years ago but now we are going to be renting our house out as holiday let so now we need to look at heat control.
We have approx 6m of large/tall bifolds and a south facing garden. It gets hot. Not a problem when we are around as we just open the doors but if you go out for the day then it can feel stuffy inside and really hot. Brilliant for most of the year thiugh as we save a fortune on heating bills!
Trying to work out options either going for inside options only or combo inside/ outside to work with the garden and that would be easier for guests staying, to control.
Options i can see for heat protection from the OUTSIDE:-
1) fixed pergola type structure at the back. Great for covering the patio for dining but if fixed to the house wall then it will block out sun in winter when we need it in here. also can't go full way across so would only be on half the back - look odd??
2) wind out awning - bit old fashioned and it would have to stretch out quite deep to reach the patio where the dining area will be. Good for when it's hot so could leave it up for weeks etc. Expensive for what area it would cover? Can't sit straight outside the doors as the open out to the step as almost 1m wide each section.
3) sun shade attached to the building above the doors which we can leave up during summer and remove for winter easily. Can connect a couple to shade the inside and also the patio for dining so don't need an umbrella. Cheaper? More flexible? Waterproof?
Only worry is the drop we need as only a small gap between the roof overhang and the start of the doors so can't slope it down much.
INTERNAL options:-
1) solar/blackout Roller blinds - maybe split into 2 x Sets of 2 and one door single one. Worried about all the hanging bits on them and if they would get damaged easily. Go blackout or sheer? Electric would be too expensive.
2) thermal Venetian blinds. Quick to pull up out the way. Can leave down but open to let some light in for privacy or shading. Get dirty easily and are a nightmare to clean 😥
3) curtains - not really an option as nowhere to gather them at the sides. Well if we put them outside the window alcove then there is one side available but not sure that much curtain would fit
Super expensive? Get dirty easily?
I'm not sure if any of the window treatments would really stop the stuffy hot feeling on a really warm day so we might have to still add a portable air conditioner unit either way.
So what do you guys think? Have you tried any of the above options and have they worked for you?

Comments (21)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.