webuser_65550870

Kitchen! Option 1 or Option 2?

- -
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We're building a new house and have two potential kitchen layouts that we are choosing between and can't make our minds up!

Given Option 1 and Option 2, which do you prefer and why? Please go mainly in terms of functionality rather than looks. For context the building is 12x7.2m and the kitchen in both options is 4.3x3.1m. 'Aisle' widths in kitchen and hall are a minimum of 1.2 - 1.3m. I'll jump into the comments after a bit with our thoughts but I don't want to influence responses one way or the other so will leave it at this for now.

Option 1______________________________________________________________________

Option 2______________________________________________________________________

Comments (37)

• Daisy England
    2 years ago

Option 1 no doubt about it. I presume those are all tall units along the wall where the 2 ovens are?

I know people will say don’t have a hob on the peninsula where people may sit, but sometimes you have to work with the space available.

I presume this is still in the process of being built as option 2 shows the sink in a different position yet a window behind it?

I can see that option 1 having the peninsular might block the flow into the dining area, but for me I still prefer it. It also allows you to look at the large seating area whereas option 2 directs you to the utility and cloakroom view.

- - thanked Daisy England
  • - -
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @Daisy England, thanks for your reply! Yes, self build currently being designed which is why we have flexibility with the window placement and you're correct, the oven is housed in a tall unit for both options.

Curious if there are any other aspects that make you favour option 1 besides the view when cooking?

• Related Discussions

Kitchen/ family space layout options

Q

Comments (1)
    I think for 2 islands to work they both need to be good sizes. I think it would be worth involving a kitchen designer at this stage before you start building. It's a big space and I'm sure a pro could easily give you everything you want (and more!) I agree the space currently doesn't work well (really not sure about the position of the fridge). If you post the full floor plan you may get more comments, but my first thought would be something like this? Not to scale etc etc.
    ...See More

kitchen floorplan options

Q

Comments (7)
    Thankyou for the ideas! I had toyed with the idea of putting the kitchen in the current dining room, but I’m desperate to be able to have the kids in the kitchen area while I’m cooking because I feel like our limited time together during the week sees us separated while I’m cooking etc. As for moving the toilet, side returns etc, I COMPLETELY agree with you. I’d move the toilet under the stairs and put a side return in. Alas, I just can’t see the bank balance agreeing with you. Which is very sad but a fact of life. I think we need to make the best of what we have. Garden is pretty small so no option to extend further out. The main bathroom is above the back door on the left there, so that must be where the soil pipe is.
    ...See More

Kitchen Dilemma - Two alternative options - which configuration works?

Q

Comments (40)
    Just reading the comments and suggestions on here shows the capacity for lots of variations possible for a design in this size of space. Have you considered investing some time working with one designer - who you can work with to produce a layout that ticks your boxes and then shopping around with the finished plans - (this is the kind of service we provide ) it may be a bit less confusing than several people ‘having a go ‘ - although it’s always great to get others opinions on Houzz, and of course it’s lovely that they are offering you this help at no cost. But might be worth considering, as you will be living with the results for a long time! (If you click on my name or icon it will take you to my pro page - with some examples of past projects and some reviews from some of our clients.)
    ...See More

Options for converting terraced house 1st floor into kitchen/lounge

Q

Comments (1)
    You can knock the living areas into the landing area. Or you can open the kitchen up to the living room. But you can’t easily open the kitchen to the stair area because you need to protect your fire escape route from your bedrooms. You may be able to do it if you add a fire suppression system. You might also consider moving the kitchen /living room to the top floor
    ...See More
  • Daisy England
    2 years ago

As much as I like an island (I have one) I think it’s nice to define an area so the peninsula marks an area between kitchen use and casual seating area.

• PRO
    HomeMood Interior Design
    2 years ago

Option 1 – That layout will create a better flow in your house, the bar chairs will not block the walk through and will maximize your space.

But as a 3rd option you could have the sink underneath the window as in Option 2, and put the tall units (with fridge, oven) on the wall next to the entrance. This way you could keep the kitchen working triangle and won`t block the daylight, but that depends on the room orientation. What direction does your kitchen face?

- - thanked HomeMood Interior Design
  • - -
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for your opinion @HomeMood Interior Design! I've mocked up what you suggested, looks quite good to me! The only thing with Option 1 and your suggestion is that I can't see the obvious place to keep plates and glasses. The floor plans and renders don't show this but the window reveals will actually be at 45 degrees and extend approx 300mm on either side of the windows which limits room for wall/countertop cupboards.

Edit: Oh, and the kitchen faces south. The floorplans have a compass point to give you an exact sense. Basically morning light coming through the windows on left hand wall so am keen not to lose those windows.

• Daisy England
    2 years ago

Which was your preference may I ask?

• - -
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Daisy England So my preference was for Option 2 originally but I'm feeling swayed by some of the comments here! Basically the layout provided by our architect is Option 1 and I created Option 2 with the goal of (1) directly connecting the kitchen with the rest of the open space (and removing what looked to me like an awkward circulation path to get to the kitchen), (2) creating a separate seating area away from the main living space, (3) minimising/eliminating corner cupboards and counterspace one can't stand in front of, and (4) avoiding the four in a row counter stool arrangement which I think is unlikely ever to be used (if we are more than two then we'll using the dining table).

With the aisle widths of 1.2m everywhere I thought the bar stools wouldn't get in the way, the only problem I have with them is that it might feel like they're in the hall and right by the main entrance rather than in the kitchen...

That all said, I'm now leaning towards Option 3 (thanks again @HomeMood Interior Design!) because I think Option 2's bar seating is perhaps too much of a compromise. Welcome any more thoughts if anyone has them!

• Wumi
    2 years ago

I like option 3! It’s means your back isn’t to the living space when your at the sink.

With the tall units switched to that entrance wall, you’ll have uninterrupted light filtering through from the kitchen windows and kitchen feels more open.

67P Extensions, remodelling & refurbishment · More Info

The Loft Kitchen · More Info

• Wumi
    2 years ago

Why are the internal window reveals at 45 degree angles? I thought that was an external feature to maximise amount of light into the room?

• CWD
    2 years ago

If it wasn't for the pillar on the island, I'd prefer Option 2 - I love the windowseat, the easier access between the spaces and I like the tall units bookending the kitchen. I also much prefer island seating that goes round the corner, rather than all in a row - would probably prefer seating at the other end though, so you're not walking into the back of people when entering kitchen. But the main thing is that pillar - is there now way that could be removed - take the load on the toilet wall which is only 1.2/1.3m away??

• Ellie
    2 years ago

Pillar????? I didn't notice that! Have you asked why?

• Ellie
    2 years ago

Where is the main entry into the kitchen? It's in middle of house, that's just a side door in left?

• - -
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Wumi Window reveals at 45 degrees because the walls are quite thick at 400mm and windows will be inset only approx 50mm from exterior. Without splayed reveals it would be quite the tunnel.

@CWD @Ellie Unfortunately the pillar is structural and cannot (without significant complexity) be removed - this was my first question when I saw the plans! The main entrance to the house is through door the left. We decided to go without a dedicated 'entrance hall' but have a large 'porch' addition to the side of the building.

• - -
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@CWD In case it helps you or anyone - here are screenshots from another angle.

Option 1

Option 2 (revised to swap seating and hob location)

Option 3

• Daisy England
    2 years ago

It’s still option 1 for me, then 3 and lastly 2 (sorry). I prefer option 1 because a bank of units is fashionable at the moment and if one is taken up with an oven it will still leave 2 of which one could be an integrated fridge freezer and one a larder unit. The larder units hold so much stuff they really are useful.

• Wumi
    2 years ago

Why not do the 45 degree reveal externally rather than internally? You’ll get daylight from window and you can have a smaller internal reveal.

You could have the sills the flush with the work surface so it runs into windows sills for a more seamless look.

• Angela Gossington-Hurd
    2 years ago

Bit late on this thread but I hope this helps.

Definitely NOT Option 2. You should not use a kitchen as the main thoroughfare when entering the house. You don't have sufficient workspace between the oven and the sink and you have lost the work triangle.

I think Option 3 nailed it. The windows allow light into both ends of the room. You're able to have your FTC units to house everything and block off any wind coming in when the door is open; ensure the door opens against the wall as the unit will get damaged. I like having a sink by the window so assuming you have a good view, that ticks a few points. The pillar/load bearing wall can be utilised by putting shelves inside for books or make it a glass cupboard? Make sure you have at least 300mm either side of the hob as landing space. Where is the extractor? A vented or one that extracts within the hob? Cooking in front of your guests isn't for everyone but having a open plan room connects you to your guests. Remember that you need to ensure the rule of the work triangle: travelling distance between the cooker, fridge and sink.

- - thanked Angela Gossington-Hurd
  • - -
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Angela Gossington-Hurd Thanks very much for this, you seem to know your stuff! If I may, where do you see plates and glasses going in Option 3? Attaching a (very) rough sketch that hopefully contains all the necessary dimensions. For the moment I'm thinking plates in a base unit (perhaps open - depending on whether we buy plates worth having on show!) and the most used glasses in a stack of slim (750x150mm) shelves on wall to the left of the sink.

EDIT: reveals add 250mm not 300mm to effective width of windows, have updated the sketch.

• Wumi
    2 years ago

Could you have some shallow shelves built-in against the pillar up to the ceiling for storing crockery and glass wear?

Maybe some of them could have sliding doors and have the nicer stuff on display.

Mackeson Road · More Info

Maybe even utilise the supporting wall itself for by adding some niches.

Hillcrest Drive · More Info

- - thanked Wumi
  • - -
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Wumi It's a nice idea and should definitely work for books (it's likely to be two columns at either end of the structural wall so freedom to do as we please with the bit in the middle (probably 600mm or so). It's only 200mm deep though so bit small for plates and access might be a bit awkward reaching around the corner?

Have drawn how I'm picturing it just in case not the same as you?

EDIT: Ahh, I re-read the first part - you mean adding something on a bit like this? Could work - we definitely have the counterspace to spare here but kind of the same question of whether it's convenient to use when it's at right angles to the counter? Maybe I'm overthinking it...

• Wumi
    2 years ago

Yes, the area you marked in green. I would put larger dinner plates/pasta bowls in a base cabinet below and have smaller plates, bowls and the glassware on the shelving. I wouldn't think you'd need more than 20-25cm depth, which should be shallow enough to reach.

I’d put things you use often within reaching distant and more occasional items out of arms reach. The niches could work for the other side of the to add interest. Fill with shade tolerant houseplants, books etc.

• Angela Gossington-Hurd
    2 years ago

@null
    Ok. Maybe you are overthinking but what you are doing is a big expense and you want to get it right.

1. Who is going to use the kitchen?
    2. Will they use cookbooks or are they into technology and use a social media platform to guide them through recipes because if that's the case, you don't need a shelf for the books! I like the last photo as it gives you the option to use the end of the pillar which can be boring...
    3. Option 1: Lighting is poor so during the winter months the use of LEDs or ano will be necessary.
    4. Lighting: This is s very important element that gets forgotten until they least minute. Think about the natural light pouring in at different times of the year. You don't want to do cooking etc in the dark! Ditto washing up etc.
    5. Are you able bodied or have health issues? Reaching up or down may cause issues so the placement of the units and what you put in them needs thought.
    6. 200mm is not a large space so you can put artefacts in there butt if you go with Option 3, the depth of your units are what? 400mm or less/more? Bespoke =you decide. You could use the option as in Photograph 1 and have open shelves by the hob on the wall . This will allow more light into the room as opposed to a standard cupboard: end the unit in toughened glass.

The other option - going a little bit 'left field' would be to have the following:

• hob level extractor - you would need to have the extraction vented so that would be something a professional could work out for you without it being seen. Maybe through the pillar to the roof? It false wall...
    • Cooking will invariably mean fat etc gets on all surfaces - if you cook like me! - however I notice you haven't got a splash back? If this isn't an issue then you could go for a Glass/oak shelf/cupboard above the hob going from the pillar to the wall. If it's high enough but reachable it won't get dirty or smelly but you really need good extraction. It could house your glasses and be made of toughened glass. Spot lighting could give the room a different dimension. Just a thought. It all depends on whether you have a cleaner really😉
    1. Position of cupboards is down to you using them. If you do your preparation by the hob do you want your cutlery by the sink? Are you having a Quooker to negate a kettle? Remember travelling with boiling water will be an issue. Where are you making a cuppa? All these things sort to be minor however planning a kitchen is a large expense so needs a lot of thought. You want to enjoy what you've created, not curse it. 😉
  • penniejb
    2 years ago

I haven't read all the comments so apologies if this has been said... why do you need seating at the island or peninsula when the room is open plan with a dining/breakfast table so close to the kitchen area?

We have a breakfast kitchen with a wide peninsular separating the kitchen end from the breakfast table area. The peninsula has doors both sides so we have things that we can access from the "table side" that are mostly used at/on the table at that side. It works really well and if people want to sit and talk to someone working in the kitchen, they can sit at the breakfast table. We have a separate formal dining room but people still sit at the kitchen table if they are chatting to the cook. No need for stools at the peninsular and that allows extra cupboard space too.

• PRO
    language tutor
    2 years ago

I felt excited but also anxious and lacking confidence. I guess it was not so bad because he agreed to do a handful of tutoring sessions with me. I wasn't sure of myself, though, and wish I had had a guide, a mentor, someone to show me how to go from language student to language tutor.

This little step proved to be the beginning of an entrepreneurial language instruction journey. I eventually decided to assist language students with my native language, English, and perform it in a big way online, developing a six-figure business that supports me and enables me to live my fantasy lifestyle.

The change from the role of student to the use of instructor is a huge one -- but it has lots of benefits. You are going to be making money. You'll be more inspired to improve your language abilities. You'll be challenged and motivated to stay ahead of your students and find answers to questions you never thought of asking.

In short, getting a foreign language tutor is a great way to get paid to do what you love and use your skills to assist others.

For this article, I am presuming you speak your target language at an upper-intermediate degree or higher. Otherwise, your first step is to work on your language abilities.

Let's take a peek at everything you need to choose yourself from speech learner to language tutor.

Pick Which Language You'll Teach.

First, determine if you would like to teach your native language or your foreign language.

A number of my friends who are teachers also taught English (their second language) to speakers of their native language because English is more in-demand and can have a fantastic career in their home countries teaching it. On the other hand, I also have friends from other countries who decided to stay in the US and teach their native language, for example, Korean, to native Language speakers.

Teaching a language other than your native language can make you a better teacher. You know what it's like to learn the terminology, and you're able to retrace the steps you took when you are showing your students how to learn.

Find Your Purpose for Being a Language Tutor

As with starting any new enterprise, becoming a language coach will not always be a smooth ride. Understanding your goal for tutoring keeps you motivated, so you will continue even when things get rough.

What's your reason for wanting to tutor? Do you want to get money? Connect with other language students? Support your travels? Challenge yourself to continue to learn that your foreign language?

https://www.languagestutor.org

I had been motivated by all those reasons! I wished to become a language tutor and instructor to get paid to do something I loved: -- talk another language and help others do the same. Once I started teaching online, I was able to travel to over 20 countries in one year.

Create Your Own Language Tutor" Internship" by Offering Free Courses

The first time I tutored English as a second language was during a volunteer gig with an Argentinian woman in an adult education program. Because it wasn't paid, I did not feel under stress -- so it no nerve-wracking. It was super fun, and that I made a new buddy.

Start small by creating your internship with volunteering gigs or with low-pressure gigs. You'll grow your expertise and ability set. I recommend asking your students to give you feedback on how you can improve.

Bear in mind that you do not need to be perfect, but you need to help your students.

• Liz Hancock
    2 years ago

Option one with option two you will end up with a crowded kit chen as there will be too many people and no direct access to the utility will drive you mad.

• PRO
    Edwin Homes
    2 years ago

Could just ask if what looks like a porch and entrance bottom left is the main entrance into the house and as shown on the plan the total ground floor area or are there other areas to the house?
    If it is the former, then have you considered if this is the right location, ie walking straight into the kitchen area? It could be located on the seating zone and have either dining or sitting in the current proposed kitchen zone as the sofas face inwards anyway and there seem to be good windows and light there for a seating area?

• Lisa Wilkinson
    2 years ago

We’re also so different aren’t we. I’d go for the island option over the peninsula any day - love the flow it brings and creates a social kitchen that family and friends can flow round happily through sitting eating and cooking - it’s just less boxed in. The thing I would change though if it’s possible to do so is accessing the cloaks from the hall area rather than the utility so people aren’t going through your kitchen and utility room to get to it. And does the structural support have to be solid wall look or can it be a pillar or pillars? If it can could a feature be made of it maybe?

• jcbuysandsells
    2 years ago

Whatever you do, don't have a thoroughfare between job and sink. It's a miracle that our family and pets have survived the last 20 years mostly unscathed - the number of times a cat, dog or child had got between the hob and sink just as I'm carrying a heavy, hot, pan of pasta or potatoes to drain .... I'm now redesigning my kitchen so that the hob and sink are on the same side of the room, so future pets and grandchildren (and me!) are in less danger of being kicked and/or scalded.

• jcbuysandsells
    2 years ago

Hob, not job!

• penniejb
    2 years ago

jcbuysandsells has a good point. We have our hob and sink across a corner from each other (i.e. at 90 degrees and have never had a problem with the cat being in the way, However, she has sometimes been almost-tripped-over between the dishwasher and the crockery cupboard which are opposite each other across the middle of the kitchen. I hadn't thought of that issue so the hob and sink were that way by chance but it does make sense to design the problem away if possible.

• Katie-Bo
    2 years ago

I like option 2 but I would have the island lengthways with the stools on the

living area side of the island ,

happy planning 😊

• henry1sa
    2 years ago

Option 3 is the best one. If you have the tall cupboards at the back of the room it won‘t affect the amount of light into the room. The peninsula works better as it keeps the kitchen space together (i.e work triangle). When you enter the room you won’t need to go through the kitchen to get to the dining/living area. just because you have enough room for an island doesn’t mean it’s the best option!! You could have a ceiling mounted extractor fan like the ones from Luxair so it doesn’t block your sight lines into the dining room/garden/living area. I would definitely keep the stools as they are always used. The ideas for the pillar are brilliant for extra storage. I would only have base units as adding wall mounted units will make the area appear smaller. Perhaps you could put a larder cupboard in the utility room for extra food storage. Definitely have as much lighting as possible. You could have the lighting set out into zones (i.e kitchen/dining/living) so that you don’t have to have the kitchen lights on when you are all in the living area etc.

• cynthiamitchell
    2 years ago

I know that this will not help you with your layout considerations but hope you do not mind my asking if you have had any issues with building regulations concerning your designs. We, too, are trying to plan a layout where the kitchen is open to both the stairs and an escape route and I have read that this might be a concern.

• Ellie
    2 years ago

Cynthia, we are in Scotland. We opened up kitchen and dining room and have stairs in the open area now. There was no issue for us as we had just one floor above us. If there was another floor there would have been restrictions.

Just call your local planning department to confirm

• cynthiamitchell
    2 years ago

Many thanks and good luck with your project!

• DANA
    2 years ago

Definitely your Option 2 (revised to swap seating and hob location) - this seems like the best layout with a nice flow.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.