webuser_801144432

Move fireplace to opposite wall in living room?

Manny Fresh
2 years ago

Hi All.

Ok, it sounds a little crazy, admittedly. But hear me out.

I'm about to buy a house next month, and we're putting together design ideas. At the moment, the living room is laid out as per the attached floorplan.

There is a fireplace that I was already planning to remove and replace with an electric one. The current fireplace is flat against the wall and takes up quite a bit of the space, meaning a TV placed above it would be too high, and yet that's the only logical place it can go. We also have two very young children, so would almost never use the fireplace.

My initial idea was to replace the fireplace with a fake wall that would house the TV and electric fire, somewhat along the lines of the below

But I'm now wondering, why not just put the wall up on the opposite side, as this then opens up the longer wall for a bigger sofa, it makes the room bigger etc. The only issues I see are

a) I can't remember how thick the interior walls is, so I might not be able to put the TV bracket up without the screws coming through on the other side

b) there are doors either side of where the new wall would be

c) would it just look weird?

I'd really welcome some feedback on this - am I mad for even considering this, or is this viable?

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.