Victorian Terracotta Tiles

Erica Miles

We are nearing the end of a long painful house refurbishment and are beginning to think about our garden...

One of the decisions we made was to remove about 30 square metres of terracotta tile. I know there will be some that think this is sacrilege but a lot of the tiles were blown and we have lived with renovated tiles before and it actually isn't great as the floor was cold, never felt entirely clean, and didn't really work in a newly renovated extension.

we have however saved the tiles and want to make use of them outside. Is this a doable project and has anyone used the tiles on a bed of a sand rather than lots of concrete? we want to create a permeable pathway where we can recycle the tiles.

Would this work, i.e. on the sand, or would they sink - could we avoid this with some harder aggregate under the sand? Will they survive frosts? And will they be a trip hazard in the rain- will we this avoid this by spacing out which is what our plan is?

Thanks for the help and advice.