Back Boiler - what's the procedure?

Irene K

Hello Houzz community!

We are collecting the keys to our first home next week and as first-time buyers this process is quite overwhelming as we don't know where to start! The house is an older 1950s-1960s home and it has a back boiler, which we are very keen to replace as soon as we move in.

I would love to hear your feedback and experience on how to best deal with it.

We would like to replace this back boiler with a new combi boiler.

• Where would you recommend we look at for new boilers? We have seen some comparison websites but is it best to speak to a local company?
  • Is there someone that we could call to come and see the house and assess the work? Basically we want the back boiler removed, but we also have one water tank on the first floor and another one in the loft related to the boiler, which we are not going to need anymore and we would like removed.
  • Do we get someone in separately to then fix the fireplace or is it done by the same person who removes the boiler? I am assuming it will be left in a mess after the back boiler is removed. Who would you recommend?
  • Do we have to look at buying a new fireplace and mantle piece separately in this case and have it ready so it can be replaced on the same day?

Back boilers are a big project it seems, so any assistance or advice you can offer is greatly appreciated! Thank you very much! :)

Irene