christopher_briggs11

House extension ideas

Meesterbriggs
2 years ago

Hi folks - we've lived in our 1930's semi for 6 years and are now looking at extending. Looking for any pointers that might help on our journey.
We are looking at a double storey extension on side so we gain a further bedroom or make an existing one bigger.
1st - house is on a corner. One plan is to go sideways about 1m from edge of boundary. Any thoughts on that? Is this likely to get past the planners.
2nd - poss rear extension either incorporating existing conservatory (which is useless) or knock down conservatory and extend across back, say 2m. We have a garden that steps down, about 1.5m, so would need to extend retaining wall (existing one is around conservatory). How far from extension footings to retaining wall do we need? We would like to have a bit of a patio area up the top near the house, but too big would eat into garden space.
3rd - unusually we have a through lounge dinner. This is how the house was built. The fireplace is central in the room. We are looking at putting a stud wall to one side of chimney breast to create a living room (at front of house) and then knocking into kitchen to create a kitchen-diner (hence what we are thinking of at rear at point 2). I've found a few houses similar to ours that have been extended at the rear, but none have made the long through living room smaller. Any thoughts/comments.
Thanks for reading and look forward to hearing your thoughts and comments.

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.