igorstrav

Which professional to consult first?

Sue D
2 years ago

I'm buying a house and there are a number of pieces of work I'd like to do on it.

In no particular order, the things I'm considering are:

* redecorate some of the rooms - some are more urgent than others

* general work in some of the rooms eg removing built-in cupboard/installing mantelpiece & fireplace

* possible repositioning of staircase to loft

* potential new kitchen using part of existing conservatory extension

* possible timber cladding and rendering of external walls.

I've got some ideas about all these, but what would you recommend - should I ask an interior designer first? Should I consult with someone who undertakes kitchen design/installation work?

Should I consult an architect? Or a builder?

I've potentially got a reasonably large amount of money to spend (possibly £75-£100k) but of course want to use this most efficiently.

I'm due to move in in early July, so I'd quite like to be in touch with a few professionals to make some consultation appointments for then.

Any words of advice much appreciated - what did you do, and in hindsight do you wish you'd tackled this in a different way?

Comments (15)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.