Which professional to consult first?

Sue D
3 days ago

I'm buying a house and there are a number of pieces of work I'd like to do on it.

In no particular order, the things I'm considering are:

* redecorate some of the rooms - some are more urgent than others

* general work in some of the rooms eg removing built-in cupboard/installing mantelpiece & fireplace

* possible repositioning of staircase to loft

* potential new kitchen using part of existing conservatory extension

* possible timber cladding and rendering of external walls.

I've got some ideas about all these, but what would you recommend - should I ask an interior designer first? Should I consult with someone who undertakes kitchen design/installation work?

Should I consult an architect? Or a builder?

I've potentially got a reasonably large amount of money to spend (possibly £75-£100k) but of course want to use this most efficiently.

I'm due to move in in early July, so I'd quite like to be in touch with a few professionals to make some consultation appointments for then.

Any words of advice much appreciated - what did you do, and in hindsight do you wish you'd tackled this in a different way?

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.