Oh God! Where to start...

Travis Bickle

Hello. I've just joined this forum and apologies in advance for the long message...

I haven’t had any work done to my flat since I moved in several years ago, although I did have a few things done between buying it and moving in.

So, I’m a complete novice about these things and I’m also not very good at being able to visualise the changes that could be made.

I’m now thinking of having central heating installed (yes, the cold doesn’t really bother me!!) and getting a new kitchen and bathroom.

The only hot water I get is from the shower, water intermittently comes out of the taps in the bath and the basin next to it.

In the kitchen, I have to be very careful with the cold tap in case the top doesn’t shoot off and I can’t use the hot tap (not that hot water comes out of it anway…) at all because the top DOES shoot off.

As you can tell, I live on my own! I’ve been able to get by with this, but I think it’s time for a change.

I’ve asked friends for advice and some have said that I should get the central heating done first before moving onto the bathroom and kitchen. Others have said that I should do it in one go because I’ll end up repeating some of the work (apparently to do with the problem with the taps and the pipes) if I do it in stages.

I feel a bit overwhelmed at the thought of getting this done anyway as it’s a completely new experience for me but the contradictory advice I’m getting on something I know NOTHING about is only confusing me more.

Can anyone say which advice I’m getting is the more sensible and how much could I expect everything to cost (as a rough figure)?

Many thanks