webuser_721060367

Architect draft not like brief

Bubble S
2 years ago
  • It took me ages to decide between getting an architect or just a artictectual designer for plans on extending my house. Finally decided to get an actual architect, you get what you pay for right? He came round and I really liked him thought he understood exactly what I was after totally seemed to be on the same page as me. Sent him emails of a list of exactly what I wanted must haves and less important etc and images of things I like. The draft drawings finally came and honestly to say I'm totally underwhelmed and dissapointed is an understatement. There was nothing in the design I liked nothing, and not much of what I asked for. There was not even a downstairs cloakroom in the drawings something that to me is pretty basic and anyway it was in my must haves list. Another thing we discussed when he was round was I hated my tiny upstairs bathroom at the front of the house and wanted a large bathroom at the back or side of the house instead, he totally agreed that bathrooms at the front of the house is not the best. Drawing came back still tiny bathroom at the front and he's given me an ensuite, something I never asked for and said in my list I want a big bathroom ensuite not important would rather have large bathroom. I could go on and on. I emailed him telling him I did not like the draft at all and he did not listen to anything I said. ( in fairness I don't actually believe he did the drawings at all,he must of given the job to a trainee, even tho he obviously must of signed it off) I said its best to cut our losses and to send me an invoice of what I owe him. He wrote back saying the council wouldn't let me do this and that. Fine, but surely he should of told me that when he came round, or communicated that to me before he started the drawings so that I would of at least had a choice if I wanted to continue instead of having to pay for drawings that are not like the original brief??? Instead of agreeing with everything I was saying , saying it was all possible now suddenly because I don't like the drawings and you haven't given me hardly anything I've asked for its because the council would not approve. What they wouldn't even approve a downstairs toilet???

He said he would send me an invoice, I never wrote back so I guess I'm just waiting for my invoice, should I complain to the RIBA?

I expected rubbish drawings from these people you can get plans for £500 but when your paying almost £4,000 plus vat I expected more.

All thoughts greatly appriciated.

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.